Thanks to everybody for their responses.... greatly appreciated.
Dave64....... perversely, it’s the jump from the lowest reading ( 2.8 I’m perfectly comfortable with ) back up to 4.5 that I think has spooked me a little.
LynEre....my dad’s primary tumor was eventually identified as prostate but by then it was pretty widespread. He had previous long term history of sciatic pain and for a substantial period of time, that was the focus of his treatment. I’m not aware of any close relatives having any of the other cancers you mention. My mother had breast cancer but was well into her 70’s. No mention of prostatitis or infection following scan and sorry, I’ve no idea which version ofMRI it was.
The consultants appointment was private. In Scotland we don’t have the same urgent referral timescales so the likelihood of seeing an NHS consultant within 2-3 weeks I suspect would be limited.... especially in current climate.
Bollinge ..... I think you’re right ! It almost felt as if the most recent Dr I discussed this with, was looking for a steer from ME ! Conversely, the first Dr I visited best part of 3 years ago seemed very knowledgeable and as a consequence of his DRE and a lengthy conversation around my symptoms.... and specifically around a number of symptoms I didn’t have..... persuaded me not to pursue further testing at that time.
Maybe I should have added that my urinary symptoms remain largely unchanged since that initial visit.
Unfortunately , he’s no longer at my local practice.
Greatful to everybody for their thoughts
One further question if I may please. The NICE guidance suggests re-testing of borderline PSA within 6-12 weeks. I certainly won’t and wouldn’t be leaving it any longer than 12 but .... would closer to 6 be too early?? Also ..... as I’ve mentioned, the outcome of the initial DRE was greatly reassuring. Would it be a practical or reasonable and proportionate step to ask for another as a potentially interim measure ? i.e. if DRE is ok .... more content and reasonable to wait 12 weeks for PSA re-test..... or if DRE indicates change ( or is inconclusive) ask for immediate referral.
I’m not usually such a ‘worrier’ ..... but this is testing me !
Thanks again to all of you for your support. ( actually feels quite cathartic just sharing this )