I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

At what recurred PSA number do they scan?

User
Posted 12 Mar 2021 at 08:46

Hi all,

Please read our profile for our info. 

After two years off hormones, Pete's PSA has slowly started to rise. 0.2 in October and 0.3 march. Not quite doubled yet. 

I understand 0.2 is what is classed as biochemical recurrence. My husband hasn't seen his consultant for over 3 years now, so at the moment it's all managed by GPs. They seemed a bit vague as to the 'magic PSA number' where they would send him for a scan or consider treatment. 

Pete's Gleason was 9 , T3C N1 M0. His post surgery nadir was 0.9

At the moment the GP has asked him to speak with them next week about the latest results but classed as a routine, non urgent appt.

Any thoughtsgreatly appreciated! X

'Sorrow looks back, worry looks around, but faith looks up'
User
Posted 12 Mar 2021 at 11:42
Definitely ask for a referral GPs are generally incompetant when it comes to PC.

I would also be asking about scans and get them to tell you why it's not a good idea (if they do!).

User
Posted 12 Mar 2021 at 09:53

From reading posts on here, and my own experience there doesn't appear to be any definitive value, that is probably because we are all different and it will be judged on case by case approach. I had RARP and salvage RT. My PSA has now crept up to 0.62, my onco nurse said a scan at 1my onco said 2,4,or even 8.

The general opinion seems the be the higher the value there is a better chance of detection.

I had an interesting conversation the other day with one of this site's nurses, might be worth a call.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 12 Mar 2021 at 10:45
In my experience, and that of others, GPs tend to know very little of PCa, so ask for a referral back to the oncology department at the hospital.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 12 Mar 2021 at 12:17

Thanks Chris. Your treatment and what is happening with your PSA sounds similar to Pete's journey.

Right, we we ask for referral to consultant when we speak to GP.

Thanks and all the best to you !

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 12 Mar 2021 at 09:53

From reading posts on here, and my own experience there doesn't appear to be any definitive value, that is probably because we are all different and it will be judged on case by case approach. I had RARP and salvage RT. My PSA has now crept up to 0.62, my onco nurse said a scan at 1my onco said 2,4,or even 8.

The general opinion seems the be the higher the value there is a better chance of detection.

I had an interesting conversation the other day with one of this site's nurses, might be worth a call.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 12 Mar 2021 at 10:45
In my experience, and that of others, GPs tend to know very little of PCa, so ask for a referral back to the oncology department at the hospital.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 12 Mar 2021 at 11:42
Definitely ask for a referral GPs are generally incompetant when it comes to PC.

I would also be asking about scans and get them to tell you why it's not a good idea (if they do!).

User
Posted 12 Mar 2021 at 12:17

Thanks Chris. Your treatment and what is happening with your PSA sounds similar to Pete's journey.

Right, we we ask for referral to consultant when we speak to GP.

Thanks and all the best to you !