Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Covid vacc and raised PSA

User
Posted 15 Mar 2021 at 18:11

Hi I guess this is a bit of a straw poll

After seeing a post on another site I’m wondering if many men have experienced an unexpected rise in their PSA following the Covid vaccine. 
On a personal note my PSA has been rising with a doubling time of about 20 months. However in March it had risen faster than expected. I had the Pfizer vacc in Feb. 
Coincidence or correlation 🤷🏻‍♂️
I’d like to think following the millions of vaccines administered that anything such as raising PSA would have been noted...but then again 🤔

Edited by member 15 Mar 2021 at 18:28  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Oct 2021 at 11:06

My last 7 PSA readings have been <0.01, except for the one in the middle which was 0.03, 2 days after AZ COVID jab.

Certainly not a reason to skip a COVID jab though. Just try to avoid timing them with a PSA test within the month after a COVID jab.

I'm not seeing a growing divide. I am seeing the unvaxxed dying and the damage it's doing to the NHS and the impact on treating things like cancer. Antivax is Darwinism in action, but it annoys me that so many people lack the skills to understand what is credible information and what isn't, and the collateral damage they cause to others. It's yet another appalling example of health inequalities brought about by lack of education.

Edited by member 09 Oct 2021 at 11:21  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 10 Oct 2021 at 15:06

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
If you have convinced yourself that the Covid injections are affecting your prostate cancer don't have them but i think Covid kills faster than cancer.

I don't think anyone has suggest the jab effects the cancer, just that it produces a temporary spike in PSA reading.

User
Posted 15 Mar 2021 at 19:04
I had AZ vaccine on 14/2 and PSA blood test on 21/2. PSA remains unchanged.
User
Posted 02 May 2021 at 19:53

So, if anyone does get an unexpectedly raised PSA result just after a COVID vaccination which resolves to the expected value in a subsequent test, they should file a report on the COVID vaccination using the COVID vaccine yellow card scheme:
https://coronavirus-yellowcard.mhra.gov.uk/

The "Suspected Reaction" field to use is "PSA increased".
User
Posted 17 May 2021 at 17:17

Had more or less stable PSA of origins 4.2 every 3 months since biopsy diagnosis of Pca Gleason 7 (3+4) 2a localised - last PSA early May was 5 - March 30th had second Covid AstraZenica- probably unconnected but who knows - MRI etc this week so we will see. 

User
Posted 10 Oct 2021 at 10:29

It's not so much education in health that's missing (although that would do no harm), but the more general principles of critical thinking (understanding how to verify facts, understanding what's a credible source of information, etc), and understanding balancing risk (e.g. when there are opposing risks, but they have orders of magnitude different). If you can't understand what are credible facts, and how to interpret risk, you are driving through life without a steering wheel.

These skills have always been important for planning (life, events, companies, products, resolving problems, etc), but they are now prerequisites for preventing social media dragging people into a dark place, which means everyone needs to be taught them, and they aren't taught in most schools. There are now many bad actors specifically exploiting those who lack critical thinking and risk analysis skills.

User
Posted 10 Oct 2021 at 12:13
Actually, these skills are a statutory part of the curriculum for all children aged 5 - 16. I don't think you will find as many anti-vaxxers in the 19-25 age group as in the 45 - 60 group
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 10 Oct 2021 at 23:40

LifesTooShort,

The rise of interest due to COVID jabs is a temporary rise for a month after the jab, not a continuous effect.

Unfortunately, that's not what your values show.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 15 Mar 2021 at 19:04
I had AZ vaccine on 14/2 and PSA blood test on 21/2. PSA remains unchanged.
User
Posted 15 Mar 2021 at 20:50

My last three PSA don't make sense.

9/Oct/2020 0.51

3/Dec/2020 0.38

10/ Feb Astra jab

1/Mar/ 2021 0.62

Next test in 14 days.

I have noticed some odd results from fellow members.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 16 Mar 2021 at 15:06

I had a Radical Prostatectomy in August 2017 and have had PSA tests every 6 months after that and all have been reported as <0.1ug/L. My latest PSA result has come back as 0.2ug/L. I had the Flu vaccine 6 weeks ago and the 1st  Pfizer Covid vaccine 3 weeks ago. It is known that some antibodies circulating in the blood stream (Heterophilic Antibodies) can potentially interfere with the laboratory PSA test but what I don't know is whether the Flu & Covid vaccines can produce these interfering antibodies.  I'm having a repeat test in 6 weeks time (and before my 2nd Covid vaccination)

Edited by member 16 Mar 2021 at 16:18  | Reason: Typed <1.0 but meant <0.1

User
Posted 16 Mar 2021 at 16:00
There's no nothing inconsistent there, Peter. 0.2 is "<1.0".

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 16 Mar 2021 at 16:16

My mistake. I meant <0.1

User
Posted 16 Mar 2021 at 19:13

Hmmm, had Pfizer jab a month ago. Three monthly blood test next week. Could be interesting (if that's the right word!)

Good luck to everyone coping with the insidious big C

User
Posted 16 Mar 2021 at 20:52
For information:

RT in February 2016 - now five years ago!

PSA

1st March 2019 - 0.496

April 2020 - 0.58

19 February 2021 Astra Zeneca jab

25 February 2021 PSA - 0.753

So yes, it is up, but whether that is due to the covid jab probably can't be proved. Instruction from consultant to GP is to refer me back if it gets above 1, fingers crossed for next year.

(our surgery uses the Patient Access system but they don't give you access to things like blood test results. i found another form on their website to request this, with an email response tonight with the result).

At the same time I was doing blood pressure checks with my annual checkups. My blood pressure did seem slightly high in the days following the injection so maybe there is an effect there as well.

User
Posted 16 Mar 2021 at 21:37

Hmmm, had Pfizer jab a month ago. Three monthly blood test next week. Could be interesting (if that's the right word!)

Should be fine Steve. But let us know

Cheers 

User
Posted 02 May 2021 at 19:53

So, if anyone does get an unexpectedly raised PSA result just after a COVID vaccination which resolves to the expected value in a subsequent test, they should file a report on the COVID vaccination using the COVID vaccine yellow card scheme:
https://coronavirus-yellowcard.mhra.gov.uk/

The "Suspected Reaction" field to use is "PSA increased".
User
Posted 17 May 2021 at 17:17

Had more or less stable PSA of origins 4.2 every 3 months since biopsy diagnosis of Pca Gleason 7 (3+4) 2a localised - last PSA early May was 5 - March 30th had second Covid AstraZenica- probably unconnected but who knows - MRI etc this week so we will see. 

User
Posted 09 Oct 2021 at 10:33
It's October now, so I have no idea how people got on with their PSA after a Covid jab, but I would be interested to hear.

Much is not known about the interaction of mRNA vaccination with other medications or PCA itself because there is simply no long term data. Also, there seems to be a growing divide between the vaxxed and unvaxxed that is increasingly intolerant on both sides, so any info is all to the good.

Thanks!

User
Posted 09 Oct 2021 at 11:06

My last 7 PSA readings have been <0.01, except for the one in the middle which was 0.03, 2 days after AZ COVID jab.

Certainly not a reason to skip a COVID jab though. Just try to avoid timing them with a PSA test within the month after a COVID jab.

I'm not seeing a growing divide. I am seeing the unvaxxed dying and the damage it's doing to the NHS and the impact on treating things like cancer. Antivax is Darwinism in action, but it annoys me that so many people lack the skills to understand what is credible information and what isn't, and the collateral damage they cause to others. It's yet another appalling example of health inequalities brought about by lack of education.

Edited by member 09 Oct 2021 at 11:21  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 10 Oct 2021 at 07:44

There is hope though, as around 80% of the possible population are, or soon will be vaccinated, that only leaves 20% to be pursuaded !!

Well said, Andy. 

If the stupid "Anti-vaxers" want to risk death or long covid, it's their funeral - literally, but they are tying up the NHS unnessisarily, from dealing with Cancers & more. 

Yes, there are slight risks in a very few people, but the gains of the vaccine, outweigh these, in my opinion. Interesting, you mention education in this - I don't remember health being mentioned at all in mine, other that fanatical insistence on PT (Getting covered in mud on a football field) which did not appeal, one little bit. 😄

Edited by member 10 Oct 2021 at 07:47  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 10 Oct 2021 at 10:29

It's not so much education in health that's missing (although that would do no harm), but the more general principles of critical thinking (understanding how to verify facts, understanding what's a credible source of information, etc), and understanding balancing risk (e.g. when there are opposing risks, but they have orders of magnitude different). If you can't understand what are credible facts, and how to interpret risk, you are driving through life without a steering wheel.

These skills have always been important for planning (life, events, companies, products, resolving problems, etc), but they are now prerequisites for preventing social media dragging people into a dark place, which means everyone needs to be taught them, and they aren't taught in most schools. There are now many bad actors specifically exploiting those who lack critical thinking and risk analysis skills.

User
Posted 10 Oct 2021 at 12:13
Actually, these skills are a statutory part of the curriculum for all children aged 5 - 16. I don't think you will find as many anti-vaxxers in the 19-25 age group as in the 45 - 60 group
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 10 Oct 2021 at 15:03

I had my first Pfizer jab 27/1/21 and second 29/3/21 and third 8/10/21 all with no problems or side affects.

My PSA blood test was 0.08 in September 2020 and 0.05 a year later in December 2021 and i do not think the Pfizer jab made a difference in the results and why would i.

If you have  convinced yourself that the Covid injections are affecting your prostate cancer don't have them but i think Covid kills faster than cancer.

John.

User
Posted 10 Oct 2021 at 15:06

If you have convinced yourself that the Covid injections are affecting your prostate cancer don't have them but i think Covid kills faster than cancer.

I don't think anyone has suggest the jab effects the cancer, just that it produces a temporary spike in PSA reading.

User
Posted 10 Oct 2021 at 23:30
So my PSA certainly did rise quite dramatically. following Covid jabs. Only problem is, the gap between my last PSA test in 2019 and my first Covid vaccination in early 2021 was nearly two years. I assumed at the time that my PSA had been rising steadily over the two years prior to my first jab.

So not sure this data is telling us anything very useful.

09/2018 : PSA 1.10

04/2019 : PSA 1.78

22/01/2021 : Ist Covid jab

08/04/2021 : 2nd Covid jab

22/04/2021 : PSA 6.9

20/05/2021 : PSA 8.2

14/06/2021 : PSA 9.4

20/08/2021 : PSA 9.5

User
Posted 10 Oct 2021 at 23:40

LifesTooShort,

The rise of interest due to COVID jabs is a temporary rise for a month after the jab, not a continuous effect.

Unfortunately, that's not what your values show.

User
Posted 11 Oct 2021 at 22:54

My OH had PSA readings:

2019 - 4.4

March 2020 - 5.1

19th April 2021 - 8.3 (when all this started with follow up MRI)

He had his 2nd Pfizer jab 18th April 2021.

Could this possibly be part of the reason for the big jump? I know it doesn’t really matter now as he had the tests and it was PCa, but definitely interesting if that contributed to the rise.

User
Posted 12 Oct 2021 at 00:09

Elaine that is quite interesting, that the jab and test were so close. I don't think any research has been done in to this other than what we have observed on this forum. Most of the reports here were from people on HT and the gap between jab and PSA test was of the order of weeks, rise was about 10%. Your OH had a fully functioning prostate and a one day gap, well we have no comparison to that. No one knew at the time, but with hind sight I would say that test was unreliable.

Dave

User
Posted 12 Oct 2021 at 06:23

Yes I guess worth thinking about for anyone who has their booster vaccine and then PSA check coming up. I read an article with a doctor in Florida saying he had seen patterns of psa rise up to 6 weeks after jab and then lowered after this time (how reliable I’m not sure?) We’ll never know if this was the case for us now as OH has started HT anyway and like I say doesn’t really make much difference at this stage. Thanks for the reply Dave.

User
Posted 19 Oct 2021 at 20:22

PSA Levels

1/27/2017 - 0.59

12/4/2018 - 0.74

7/13/2020 - 0.53

10/18/2021 - 1st Pfizer Shot

10/19/2021 - 1.180

User
Posted 19 Oct 2021 at 22:07

Thank you John, big jump right after jab. Please post again after your next test, it will be interesting to see if it comes back down. This could be important for people on active surveillance, at least we now have half the story. If it comes down we will have the other half.

Dave

User
Posted 21 Jun 2022 at 07:11

I had my prostrate removed 2010.  psa readings since have been 0.01.  2021 reading was 4.00 this year 8.00.  Conclusion must be the covid jab.  Does anyone know why it has not been on the news?  Does anyone know any further information?

User
Posted 21 Jun 2022 at 07:51

Tolgate the COVID jab probably produces a temporary rise of a small value. Yours seems to be a big rise for a long time.

Is a medic monitoring this? If it is your GP they should have referred you to an oncologist when this rose above 0.1 . They probably didn't because those figures are reasonable for a man with a prostate in his 70s. They are not reasonable for a man who has had his prostate removed. If your GP refuses to refer you seek a second opinion, make sure everyone knows you do not have a prostate.

Dave

User
Posted 21 Jun 2022 at 08:05
Post hoc ergo propter hoc? The fact that your PSA has increased from 4 to 8 and you happen to have had the Covid vaccine certainly does not mean that the vaccine "must" be the cause of the increase. In fact I'd go so far as to say that it's vanishingly unlikely to be. The cause is (unfortunately) almost certainly that your cancer has returned. About 1 in 3 men who have an RP experience a recurrence of the cancer and go on to require salvage RT. Hopefully you have been referred to an oncologist?

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 21 Jun 2022 at 08:40

I agree with Chris. This isn't due to a COVID jab.

As a prostatectomy patient, your max PSA would be a rising 0.1 or stable 0.2. Max temporary rise due to COVID that I've seen reported is 4x, and you are way outside that. Plus the COVID rise is temporary, but you have a doubling time of a year (depending on the exact timing), and you should be back under the care of oncology now.

User
Posted 21 Jun 2022 at 11:38

Tolgate, as said by others that rise needs to be checked out.

Guys, my PSA went from 0.38 to 0.62 after my first jab. It then dropped to 0.61 then went up to 0.73. it did drop from 1.0 to 0.99 after the booster jab. The second phase of the trial I was on proved inconclusive despite the first phase of the trial giving good results. The full report is awaited but I did wonder if the COVID jab was affecting the outcome. There was a set criteria for when to have the covid jab so a pattern may appear.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 21 Jun 2022 at 16:55

Spoke to doctor today and she is trying to fast track me for hospital.   Might be about a fortnight.

Tolly

User
Posted 21 Jun 2022 at 17:45

Glad to hear it, but you really should have been referred immediately when your PSA rose above 0.1. Someone's really dropped the ball big-time here 🙁.

Chris

User
Posted 12 Jul 2022 at 06:41

This is an update on my raised PSA.  The cancer has spread to my lungs,

User
Posted 12 Jul 2022 at 07:32
Very sorry to hear that. What treatment has been proposed? Chemo?

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 12 Jul 2022 at 08:00
Sorry to hear that news Tollgate, I hope your oncologist is paying attention now.
User
Posted 12 Jul 2022 at 17:40

Well it is amazing that it stayed inactive for ten years, sadly it has reared its ugly head and I guess you will be back on the treatment band wagon. Hopefully it can be kept under control for a decade or so.

Dave

User
Posted 12 Jul 2022 at 18:10
Bri, how are you doing? Is your PSA behaving?

User
Posted 02 Aug 2022 at 09:06

It has been non-stop since I first posted. I am following LHRH-agonist therapy. Tablets and injections.  See what it is like in 3 months.