Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

My dad has been diagnosed with advanced PC

User
Posted 15 Mar 2021 at 19:53

Hi, 

My dad was diagnosed 3 weeks ago with prostate cancer after a psa of 275. 

He has had a bone scan, ct scan and biopsy. 

The bone scans have confirmed it has spread to his hip, pelvis, spine and ribs.

Recently found out it has spread to his lung and lymph nodes.

The biopsy results are back on Thursday this week but have stated it is stage 4 and advanced PC. 

He was started on hormone treatment last Tuesday and a form of chemo is being started shortly.

My dad is only 57 and had no prior symptoms apart from a sore back and hip. 

The news was a complete shock to us all, we are a very close and strong family. In particular my sister and myself are really struggling to come to terms to with this Diagnosis and very scared. Has anyone been through this and have any coping strategies? I want to be as strong as possible for him to help him through this but it is so difficult.

Any help is appreciated. 

Thank you

User
Posted 15 Mar 2021 at 22:43
Macmillan do some really good leaflets including one for family / friends on dealing with someone else being diagnosed.

As you will be starting to realise, even with an advanced diagnosis some men live for many, many years. It isn't like pancreatic cancer or a brain tumour where people often die within weeks of being diagnosed.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 01 Apr 2021 at 22:54

Hi there,

Didn't want to read and run. I hope you're doing a bit better. My dad was 57 at diagnosis last year. His is advanced but hadn't spread as yours has. He's currently on his treatment journey, having had chemo and contributing with hormone therapy whilst he undergoes radiotherapy.

At first it was horrible but over time we've sort of settled into a new life/routine.

It is good they are able to offer your dad some form of treatment too. I hope your dad is doing OK. Mine was not at first but as time has gone on it seems to be something he's dealing with really well. 

Sarah

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 15 Mar 2021 at 22:43
Macmillan do some really good leaflets including one for family / friends on dealing with someone else being diagnosed.

As you will be starting to realise, even with an advanced diagnosis some men live for many, many years. It isn't like pancreatic cancer or a brain tumour where people often die within weeks of being diagnosed.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 01 Apr 2021 at 22:54

Hi there,

Didn't want to read and run. I hope you're doing a bit better. My dad was 57 at diagnosis last year. His is advanced but hadn't spread as yours has. He's currently on his treatment journey, having had chemo and contributing with hormone therapy whilst he undergoes radiotherapy.

At first it was horrible but over time we've sort of settled into a new life/routine.

It is good they are able to offer your dad some form of treatment too. I hope your dad is doing OK. Mine was not at first but as time has gone on it seems to be something he's dealing with really well. 

Sarah