Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Pain in shin

User
Posted 16 Mar 2021 at 20:15

Hi,

I was diagnosed in January 20 and after a bone scan they found a small secondary amount in my sturnum PSA 114, since then my PSA has been 0.1 my question is!!

I am getting pain in my right shin and it's also tender to touch, does this mean the possibility that my bone cancer has spread  if this is the case wouldn't my PSA  level at the end of February have shown something.

The reason I am asking is, all I get checked is my PSA level every 3 months so I presume why the levels are low then everything is being kept under control is this correct.?

User
Posted 16 Mar 2021 at 23:57

Hi Chris you and I have been on this forum about a year, and most of my knowledge has came from this forum. All I can say is that from what I've read of this disease and how slow it is. I would be really surprised if six weeks after a psa of 0.1 it could have advanced to anything troublesome.

As it happens the reason this post caught my eye is that I too had a few pains in my legs including my shin. I am just coming off HT so I am acutely aware that now is when I will find out if the RT worked.

I got as far as typing "sciatica prostate" in to Google, but then I thought actually millions of people get sciatica so its much more likely to be a benign reason.

Good luck I hope the pain just goes away and it comes to nothing. You could try asking your GP but I think he'll tell you you just pulled a muscle (I've read your profile). 

Edited by member 17 Mar 2021 at 16:12  | Reason: Not specified

Dave

User
Posted 17 Mar 2021 at 03:12
I know very little about metastatic PCa, but as far as I understand, adenocarcinoma prefers to travel to bones not too far from the pelvic region in the first instance.

I would make an amateurish guess that you don’t have it in your sternum or shin, what with your low irradiated PSA level of 0.1.

Are you able to get back to your Oncologist amid the current Covid (virtually exclusive) Health Service crisis?

Another oncology consultation with a bone scan should tell you definitively if there is any metastasis, and if not, you can resign yourself (like everyone else here) to put all your ongoing ailments down to old age!

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

P.S. My severely disabled father-in-law recently saw a Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon within a few days for hip replacement surgery, which is happening on 7th April. If he hadn’t paid fifteen grand he’d still be on the waiting list of the Covid Health Service to see a consultant, with a date for surgery up to eighteen months hence.

Who pays for these surgeons’ training? The Covid (née National) Health Service!

User
Posted 17 Mar 2021 at 10:23
If your PSA is 0.1 it's highly unlikely.

My PSA is less than 0.1 I have been diagnosed as requiring a new hip, the pain radiates down my leg Inc my shin when it has been agrivated by activity. Guess what I worry about! You can't help it I'm afraid!

Get it checked anyway!

User
Posted 17 Mar 2021 at 15:42

Sorry, I am going to disagree with the others. As far as I understand it, you are still on Zoladex so that will be keeping your PSA low. You were diagnosed with oligomets so it is entirely possible that a tiny cluster of cancer cells in your shin is causing some discomfort or that a cluster in your spine or similar is causing transferred pain. The tumour in your sternum showed up on the previous bone scan but that doesn't mean that there weren't already tiny tumours settling elsewhere. Having said all that, it should be some reassurance to you that mets to the shin are quite rare so it is more likely to be an exercise issue, small tear or shin splinters (do you do a lot of running or hiking?) ... or even muscular pain caused by the Zoladex?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 12 Nov 2021 at 22:57

Hi Chris, it's over six months since you posted this. Was it serious, or did it go away? It may help someone in the future, to know how much is real cancer vs how much we attribute to cancer.

Dave