I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Cycling post-brachytherapy

User
Posted 22 Mar 2021 at 17:45

I’m booked in for brachytherapy on Thursday- any views on how long I should wait before getting back on my bike?  After biopsy I left it a week until I got back on an indoor turbo (no bumps!) and that seemed fine. 

any comments welcome 

User
Posted 22 Mar 2021 at 18:41

Is it seeds brachy or HDR? 

Dave

User
Posted 22 Mar 2021 at 23:26
And have you invested in a prostate-friendly saddle?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 23 Mar 2021 at 06:47
Seeds brachytherapy.

And yes my saddle is prostate friendly.

User
Posted 23 Mar 2021 at 08:55

Whatto JohnBoy G,

Don't be in too much of a hurry to return to your bike. I had the same L.D.R. treatment as you back in 2010. I never mounted my Mountain Bike until about 6 weeks after seed insertion. For 10 years I have ridden with a 'friendly' saddle and loads of outer clothing especially well padded cycling shorts. I am answering your question with certain knowledge and experience. Remarkably yesterday(22/03) was the 1st time ever that I realised that I was no longer at all anxious about my under carraige and was conscious that my full weight of 172lbs was firmly on the saddle without any attempt to shield my nether regions. I will remain well padded.

Take your time JohnBoyG and don't risk any unnecessary pressure on the area of the Prostate.

 

Chigwell2010.

User
Posted 23 Mar 2021 at 09:46

I had HDR so can't really compare. For what it's worth I had no real discomfort from that procedure and could have been back on a bike in days.

They will be positioning your seeds carefully and you don't want them moving about. So I would be quite cautious of being on a bike. 

The seeds have a half life depending on the isotope used I think this can be anything from 10 days to 60 days. After 4 half lives the seeds will have delivered more than 90% of the radiation dose and personally if the other 10% wasn't quite delivered in the right place I wouldn't be bothered.

So if you were being really cautious find out the half life of the seeds and multiply by 4. If the seeds get locked in place by scar tissue after perhaps a month then I guess it would be safe to be back in the saddle then.

I'm very much a leisure cyclist, for me missing 40 days of cycling would be no problem, and missing 240 days wouldn't be an issue, but I have other hobbies and if some one said you can't play the violin for 9 months I wouldn't be happy, but if they said you'll die of cancer unless you stop playing for 9 months then I would stop. Anyone who has heard my violin playing would have been glad of the nine month break.

 

Dave

 
Forum Jump  
©2021 Prostate Cancer UK