Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Bad side effects from hormone therapy

User
Posted 25 Mar 2021 at 11:16

Hi,

I was wondering if any of you men have had really bad side effects from the hormones, and then tried another drug to see if it made any difference? My husband Ian is having quite bad effects from the hormones at the moment. He finished his radiation treatment on March 1st, so maybe some of the effects are worse due to the radiation? He has about 30 hot flushes a day, tingling in his hands and feet, obviously no libido, hip pain (he's seeing a physio today), a feeling a yuckiness most of the time, and lack of motivation. He is building up his exercise again slowly, and generally feels better after he's been for a walk. Exercise definitely makes him feel better, but it doesn't get rid of the flushes, etc. He's on Prostap at the moment and has been on it since September and will get his next injection in June.

User
Posted 25 Mar 2021 at 12:19
It might be worth asking the oncologist if he’d consider a switch to bicalutimide. This works in a different way to the injectable hormones: it blocks the reception of testosterone rather than its production. I was on bicalutimide for 18 months and had relatively few side-effects.

User
Posted 25 Mar 2021 at 12:47
Hi I’ve been on injectable HT for 2 months now. Monthly jabs until I understand the side-effects better. I insisted on Decapeptyl after lots of reports of fewer or less debilitating side effects. I hear Prostap is the cheapest and most often used. Quite rightly people will argue that they are all the same but they aren’t. They all achieve the end goal of castration for sure but are different compounds.

Touch wood so far I’m ok. Yes lots of hot flushes but to be fair they don’t bother me. I sleep fine and get them on waking and through the day. Yes my libido has dropped but no way has it gone and I’m still sexually interested and fully functioning. Sometimes I can’t orgasm is all. I already had fatigue , hip pain , knee pain but none has worsened. The good news is that my poor back full of mets is feeling better and better. Just hope it holds the cancer at bay for a good while. I’m 53

User
Posted 25 Mar 2021 at 14:40

Been on Decapeptyl for nearly 2 years. Very little in the way of side effects so far 👌

Good luck to everyone coping with the insidious big C

User
Posted 29 Mar 2021 at 18:34
Thanks for all your replies. Ian will ask oncologist about other drugs at his next appointment.