I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Night time incontinence

User
Posted 25 Mar 2021 at 14:28

Following my prostate surgery last year I largely recovered from incontinence within three or four months. But then developed incontinence at night whilst sleeping. I usffered the embarrassment of wetting the bed three or four times over the past six months, but otherwise regularly wet my pants (anything from four to a dozen times a month. My consultant has told me that this is not associated with my surgery and I have not found anyone else with the same problem. But I never had any incontinence issues before surgery.

I have tried re-training my bladder, successfully and spent a month or two cutting out all liquids which could irritate the bladder. But my night time incontinence does not seem to relate in any way to what I drink or any daytime activities.

User
Posted 25 Mar 2021 at 16:53
You say that you have tried retraining your bladder but this is not something that people can generally do by themselves and is usually more relevant to those with an over-active bladder.

It sounds to me like you are sleeping more heavily and your brain isn't picking up the usual messages sometimes. Have you spoken to the GP? Asked about possible narcolepsy? If you have a partner, do they say you are snoring more? Are you very overweight?

A referral to the incontinence service is probably the next step although they may refer you on to the sleep clinic if they think it necessary.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard