I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Am I right to be worrying

User
Posted 28 Mar 2021 at 15:16

A recent PSA test showed a level of 10.5 and the rectum examination assessment of the prostate was not normal . I was thinking that was not too bad as there was an absence of other symptoms but since then , just a week ago, I’m not urinating as freely as normal and bowels a bit loose . My groin feels slightly strained and My back does ache but I’ve had that for a while and physio believes it’s due to poor posture and muscle wastage as I’ve lost weight due to a bad bout of gastritis . I’m so worried that it’s more serious than I first thought . Any advice out there please . I am 68

User
Posted 28 Mar 2021 at 21:05

Hi Mitch

I dont want to sound  dramatic, but please don't hang around, you need an answer sooner rather than later. The sooner PC is found the more they can treat it. My Husband had very little symptoms and was diagnosed GL9 PSA 320 already metastatic to bones !! Are you in the UK? Do you have an oncologist allocated to you ? For your own peace of mind make an appointment to see your Dr

User
Posted 28 Mar 2021 at 23:29

Hi, Has your doctor put you in for tests.  A PSA of 10.5 warrants investigation but could be a number of things. 

I'd take less notice of the side effects and pains.  They increase due to imagination  as you worry more and read about it more and they're usually unrelated.

User
Posted 29 Mar 2021 at 00:57
I would have thought your GP would have made a referral for you to have further assessment and tests at Urology. If this is not in hand I would ask your GP to initiate this. Meanwhile try not to worry or imagine every ache and pain is due to PCa.
Barry
User
Posted 29 Mar 2021 at 02:50
Yes, agreed, you need a quick referral to urology to get yourself checked out.

Your GP should have set this already in train. Find out today.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 29 Mar 2021 at 11:54

I have had an initial meeting with my consultant , a very wonderful man called [Doctors name removed by moderartor]. He was the one who described the prostate as being " Not Normal " I'm booked in for a MRI and Biopsy next week, so things on the move. I'm a born optimist and was thinking that with a PSA of 10.5 and lack of symptoms , unlikely to have spread , if there at all . Or am I being unrealistic . My waterworks are back to normal, with this on my mind , just wasn't drinking enough fluid . Thanks for all the replies . John

Edited by moderator 29 Mar 2021 at 13:47  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 29 Mar 2021 at 12:03
Whether you are being unrealistic or not will be revealed in three or four weeks when your results come back and you have another appointment with your consultant.

There’s nothing else to do but have the tests and wait on tenterhooks.

Good luck.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 29 Mar 2021 at 13:40

I too am a born optimist. So I am going to put my neck out and say you are being realistic it is unlikely to have spread. About 70% of people at your age have PCa so I think it is fairly likely you have it. If your PSA were above about 50 I would be saying it may well have spread and if it were below 10 I would be saying it is very unlikely to have spread. So you are much nearer the safer end. Of course nothing is definite only once all the tests are done will you know, but if I were you I would not be overly worried. You probably have PCa, it will just become a question of how to deal with it, and very unlikely to be a question of what music to play at the funeral.

Dave

User
Posted 29 Mar 2021 at 14:16

Thanks Dave, very encouraging and that's how my mind is working . Nothing is certain for now and fingers crossed not to receive scary news . I've suddenly become religious ! 

User
Posted 29 Mar 2021 at 15:57
With a PSA of 10, if you do have prostate cancer it's overwhelmingly likely to be localised and eminently treatable. At your age, about 70% of men do have prostate cancer. You'll know where things stand once the diagnostic process is complete. Try not to get too stressed about it.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 29 Mar 2021 at 16:09

Thanks Chris, that's what I keep on telling myself . Hopefully I can stop thinking about it too much and try to concentrate on other things . I suppose it's the only way 

User
Posted 29 Mar 2021 at 19:27

One thing you could do is what many others have found helpful which is to study the 'ToolKit' This provides good basic information about PCa and various treatments, some of which may be suitable for you and you may find this helpful in deciding your option, assuming you do have PCa which seems likely. You can either download or order a hard copy from the Publications Department here https://prostatecanceruk.org/prostate-information/our-publications/publications/tool-kit?_ga=2.206109653.795867346.1564408880-1013787081.1564408880

Edited by member 29 Mar 2021 at 19:28  | Reason: to highlight link

Barry