Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA 10 and bone mets

User
Posted 01 Apr 2021 at 00:26

Hi Everyone

I am on here to try to get some advice.  My ex and father of my grown up children was diagnosed with PC 5yrs ago.  He was on hormone treatment and after this he had 6 monthly blood tests as a check up. He was doing really well for past 4years.   He is 58.   At Christmas 2020 he developed sore left hip and it has transpired the cancer has spread.  He is now on more hormone therapy and has to have an injection soon. (sorry I am not fully up to speed on exact info)  Needless to say we are all devastated and very worried.  He has had a CT and showed on left hip, tiny on right and very tiny on spine.  His consultant said he will try to get him to 70? He is waiting for MRI result.  Has anyone had a similar story? and can anyone advise at all positively.  He was told PSA is 10 and there was mention of 5 score also.  I know I will need exact details but at the moment I'm just trying to understand it all.  His blood test July 20 was clear so the one in Jan 21 was not.

Any help appreciated.  

User
Posted 06 Apr 2021 at 19:11

Hi When my Psa started to rise , I had a scan it showed three mets , one in spine , one in hip , one in shoulder I opted for early Chemo six sessions , still here three and a half years later PSA 0.04
Good luck
see profile 

User
Posted 05 Apr 2021 at 23:18

Hi Lynn

Thank you so very much.  You actually have given me some hope when I am in complete despair about this.  I really hope he does respond well.  I have read so many inspiring stories on here and if I could thank them all I would but you obviously have had a long journey with this in your family.  I just cannot believe it has happened to be honest bur there it is.  He's a positive person so hopefully he will manage. It must seem strange because as I said we are not together but I have known him for most of my life and he is the father of my children so it has hit very hard indeed. Hopefully we I come out of this darkness I can offer some support to others on here as you are doing. I cannot thank you enough

Lucy

User
Posted 06 Apr 2021 at 15:51
Hi Lucy - Very Sorry to hear about this, especially as it all seems so sudden. Did they give you any reason why the original Hormone/Radiotherapy treatment appears to have failed, or is this new diagnosis unrelated ? You say he was treated for PC contained....just wondering how unusual it is for it to reappear outside of the prostate post HT/RT treatment .... It sounds like a radical prostatectomy i.e prostate removal (if offered in 2015) would also not have worked in this instance.

This might be a question for Super Lyn to respond too! :)

Best Regards,
Nick

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 01 Apr 2021 at 22:59
Hi,
it does seem like an important bit of the story is missing. When he was diagnosed in 2016, he will either have been
A) given hormones with another treatment (radiotherapy or brachytherapy) on a curative basis - so the hormones were for a limited period and then he has just been monitored in the expectation that the treatment had been successful OR
B) diagnosed with incurable cancer and has been on the hormones ever since. This can control the cancer for a while but not forever.

If the cancer was curable in 2016, he wouldn't have only had hormones for a while.

If A) then it seems the treatment failed and the cancer has come back or B) the hormones aren't working anymore. What happens next really depends on whether he was A or B in 2016.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 01 Apr 2021 at 23:01

Hi Lynn

Thank you so much for replying.  I am all over the place with this.  He was definitely A in 2016

R

User
Posted 02 Apr 2021 at 10:01
Okay, so do you know what the other treatment was that he had with the hormones in 2016? Radiotherapy every day for a few weeks? Radioactive seeds in his prostate? A combination of the two? Something called HIFU?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 02 Apr 2021 at 21:47

Hi Lynn

You are so kind to reply to this I know I am likely not that clear.  I believe he had some radiotherapy with the hormones and for last few years he has had a blood test every 6 months as a checkup.  His test in July 20 was ok and in Jan 21 it wasnt so now we have this going on .  He is now taking 2 tablets 1 is hormone and 1 is to kill the cancer .He also had a first injection today.  Sorry I am not that clued up.  I must say I have found this forum really comforting if you know what I mean.  I have read some wonderful stories of people in similar situs and they are getting on with it which is what I am praying my ex will be able to do as well. He is staying positive which is good but it was a big big shock last week

R

User
Posted 05 Apr 2021 at 20:24

Hi Lynn

I have more info now.  He was diagnosed in May 2015 contained in prostate.  He had hormone treatment and 39 sessions of radio.  His psa was less than 1 until Jan 2021 when it became 11 ,  He has since had a ct scan and a bone scan which showed mets both hips and spine. He is on bicalcumide and has had an injection of decapetyl which he is to get every 3 months.

Grateful for any advice 

R

User
Posted 05 Apr 2021 at 23:12
Okay so the bicalutimide will probably be stopped in a week or so - the decapeptyl begins to starve the cancer immediately by cutting off the testosterone supply.

Loss of testosterone has its own side effects - he may get fatigued and will lose his libido - but life will settle into a new normal. Assuming he responds well to the hormone treatment, he could indeed be around for many years.
User
Posted 05 Apr 2021 at 23:18

Hi Lynn

Thank you so very much.  You actually have given me some hope when I am in complete despair about this.  I really hope he does respond well.  I have read so many inspiring stories on here and if I could thank them all I would but you obviously have had a long journey with this in your family.  I just cannot believe it has happened to be honest bur there it is.  He's a positive person so hopefully he will manage. It must seem strange because as I said we are not together but I have known him for most of my life and he is the father of my children so it has hit very hard indeed. Hopefully we I come out of this darkness I can offer some support to others on here as you are doing. I cannot thank you enough

Lucy

User
Posted 06 Apr 2021 at 15:51
Hi Lucy - Very Sorry to hear about this, especially as it all seems so sudden. Did they give you any reason why the original Hormone/Radiotherapy treatment appears to have failed, or is this new diagnosis unrelated ? You say he was treated for PC contained....just wondering how unusual it is for it to reappear outside of the prostate post HT/RT treatment .... It sounds like a radical prostatectomy i.e prostate removal (if offered in 2015) would also not have worked in this instance.

This might be a question for Super Lyn to respond too! :)

Best Regards,
Nick

User
Posted 06 Apr 2021 at 19:11

Hi When my Psa started to rise , I had a scan it showed three mets , one in spine , one in hip , one in shoulder I opted for early Chemo six sessions , still here three and a half years later PSA 0.04
Good luck
see profile 

User
Posted 07 Apr 2021 at 18:10

Hello Nick

Thank you very much for your reply.  It is indeed very sudden as we all thought he was going along quite nicely until Jan this year when psa was 11.  I found it very hard to believe this could actually happen but it obviously can.  He is remaining positive and people on here have literally been a lifeline for me as a lot of your stories have really given me hope.  As I understand it, cells can have escaped the prostate and be just there and then suddenly they activate and cause this.  He is doing quite well so far and has got over the initial shock of the diagnosis.  We are all just hoping he does well for a long time yet and you never do know what is in the pipeline with all the trials etc.  I am advising every man I know to have this test done, we women are much better at that but men really do need to get with the program and look after themselves.  

Best Regards

Lucy

User
Posted 07 Apr 2021 at 21:30

Hi Barry

Thank you so much for posting to me.  I really appreciate it.  Somehow I dont feel so alone dealing with this now as there are so many positive stories on here.

You have been through it all and hopefully the road ahead is long and happy for you.  

I guess we will have to wait and see what happens with the HT and hope for the best 

Lucy

User
Posted 07 Apr 2021 at 22:03

Cheers lucy, i will have to swot up a bit more! I was diagnosed in dec 2020, at 53, and my preference is HT/RT hence the enquiry. I have found the forum an excellent source of realtime information.. there are lots of people like Lyn who seem to know more than the surgeons :) someone on here will have the answer to any question posed.

All the very best of luck and keep us updated.

Regards, 

Nick