I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

After treatment has ended...

User
Posted 01 Apr 2021 at 23:48

After hormone therapy and radiotherapy has ended how likely is it that the cancer will grow back and over what time period.....

User
Posted 02 Apr 2021 at 03:31
If you want to consult a clairvoyant and are not happy with Gypsy Rose Lee on Blackpool’s Golden Mile, you could put all your statistics into what’s called a Nomogram.

This is the one they mainly use, and when I asked an oncologist the same question as you, he typed a few figures into his computer, and as he turned his screen to show me the result, I turned my iPad to him to show him exactly the same page that I had already checked!

Chances are I’m good for ten years, but after that the bugger is likely to be back, by which time I might be dead of something else!

https://www.mskcc.org/nomograms/prostate

User
Posted 02 Apr 2021 at 15:00

You can frighten yourself with this question.    Your doctors have offered an attempt to cure it and that's good news.  They don't offer that to everyone.

We're all different so the cure might work or it might not.   If you read a nomogram you're likely to find that with a high pre-treatment psa, and Gleason 4+5 you are in a category of higher risk of it coming back.   Whether it will is another matter, there are those who we never hear about and those who write on here who have been on treatment for 15 years.

Also they often say the longer you stay with a low psa the slower it's likely to progress if it does come back.   With radiotherapy you could be on hormones for months after treatment.  Then it takes longer to learn whether it worked as the psa doesn't go down fast and can actually go up before coming down.  It could be up to 2 years before you know it's worked.

I'm also higher risk but I find I can tell myself there's a good chance it won't come back, although when psa testing time comes up every year I begin to wonder how long my luck will last.  

Your doctor has offered a treatment to cure is a good way to think I find.

There are links to nomograms somewhere but a Radiotherapy one didn't come up when I searched.

All the best, Peter

Edited by member 02 Apr 2021 at 15:11  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 02 Apr 2021 at 21:23
All the nomograms I've seen have been for RP treatment. There don't seem to be any for RT.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 02 Apr 2021 at 23:53

I like this site.

https://prostate.predict.nhs.uk/

You put in your details and whether you had radical treatment or conservative treatment (watch and wait). It doesn't bother making a distinction between any of the radical treatments as they are all much of a muchness.

I like the curves as the way to display the results. For my diagnosis I've got about 50% chance of getting to 70. Shame really as without PCa I would probably have got to 85, in fact if I'm cured I still might, but if you're going to consult the oracle why would you then ignore the prediction. 

Dave

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 02 Apr 2021 at 03:31
If you want to consult a clairvoyant and are not happy with Gypsy Rose Lee on Blackpool’s Golden Mile, you could put all your statistics into what’s called a Nomogram.

This is the one they mainly use, and when I asked an oncologist the same question as you, he typed a few figures into his computer, and as he turned his screen to show me the result, I turned my iPad to him to show him exactly the same page that I had already checked!

Chances are I’m good for ten years, but after that the bugger is likely to be back, by which time I might be dead of something else!

https://www.mskcc.org/nomograms/prostate

User
Posted 02 Apr 2021 at 15:00

You can frighten yourself with this question.    Your doctors have offered an attempt to cure it and that's good news.  They don't offer that to everyone.

We're all different so the cure might work or it might not.   If you read a nomogram you're likely to find that with a high pre-treatment psa, and Gleason 4+5 you are in a category of higher risk of it coming back.   Whether it will is another matter, there are those who we never hear about and those who write on here who have been on treatment for 15 years.

Also they often say the longer you stay with a low psa the slower it's likely to progress if it does come back.   With radiotherapy you could be on hormones for months after treatment.  Then it takes longer to learn whether it worked as the psa doesn't go down fast and can actually go up before coming down.  It could be up to 2 years before you know it's worked.

I'm also higher risk but I find I can tell myself there's a good chance it won't come back, although when psa testing time comes up every year I begin to wonder how long my luck will last.  

Your doctor has offered a treatment to cure is a good way to think I find.

There are links to nomograms somewhere but a Radiotherapy one didn't come up when I searched.

All the best, Peter

Edited by member 02 Apr 2021 at 15:11  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 02 Apr 2021 at 21:23
All the nomograms I've seen have been for RP treatment. There don't seem to be any for RT.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 02 Apr 2021 at 23:53

I like this site.

https://prostate.predict.nhs.uk/

You put in your details and whether you had radical treatment or conservative treatment (watch and wait). It doesn't bother making a distinction between any of the radical treatments as they are all much of a muchness.

I like the curves as the way to display the results. For my diagnosis I've got about 50% chance of getting to 70. Shame really as without PCa I would probably have got to 85, in fact if I'm cured I still might, but if you're going to consult the oracle why would you then ignore the prediction. 

Dave