Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Varying advice on PFEs

User
Posted 03 Apr 2021 at 12:00

Hi,

Could someone please give me some clarification on the PFE's?  Which ones to do and how often?  I seem to have received different instructions from Stepping Hill, the local hospital Urology nurses and the leaflets I've been given - they all contradict each other! 

As background, I had Robotic Nerve-Sparing prostatectomy on 2nd March, had catheter removed 10 days later and am now virtually dry during both day and night. Just need some clarification on the best PFEs please!!

Nick 

User
Posted 03 Apr 2021 at 19:53

Nick 

Post op I had an app that reminded me three times a day and I varied the PFEs between short , long and mixed.i did around 20 per session. I also used to do some extra PFEs when driving to and from work especially in traffic jams. The app I had no longer exists.

Thanks Chris.

Edited by member 03 Apr 2021 at 20:13  | Reason: Added quantity

User
Posted 04 Apr 2021 at 06:49

There is still a "Squeezy for men" app available for a small fee. I'm using it pre-op to build up my pelvic floor in advance. It gives reminders and uses a mixture of exercises.

User
Posted 05 Apr 2021 at 22:43

LinzG, I think the precise advice varies by hospital but it is always to keep going with exercises. You sound to be in a good position (if dry by day so quickly) so you just need to be sure not to lose that benefit. From what I was told (plus internet research) the usual recommendation is a combination of short sharp contractions, and ones held for longer, using a number of repeats with gaps between (I was told 10 of each starting at 3 times a day).

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 03 Apr 2021 at 19:53

Nick 

Post op I had an app that reminded me three times a day and I varied the PFEs between short , long and mixed.i did around 20 per session. I also used to do some extra PFEs when driving to and from work especially in traffic jams. The app I had no longer exists.

Thanks Chris.

Edited by member 03 Apr 2021 at 20:13  | Reason: Added quantity

User
Posted 04 Apr 2021 at 06:49

There is still a "Squeezy for men" app available for a small fee. I'm using it pre-op to build up my pelvic floor in advance. It gives reminders and uses a mixture of exercises.

User
Posted 05 Apr 2021 at 22:43

LinzG, I think the precise advice varies by hospital but it is always to keep going with exercises. You sound to be in a good position (if dry by day so quickly) so you just need to be sure not to lose that benefit. From what I was told (plus internet research) the usual recommendation is a combination of short sharp contractions, and ones held for longer, using a number of repeats with gaps between (I was told 10 of each starting at 3 times a day).