I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Burning in Urethra

User
Posted 09 Apr 2021 at 18:15

I’m five weeks from robotic prostrate surgery and I have a terrible pain in the tip of penis. Feels like someone stuck me with an ice pick. 

User
Posted 09 Apr 2021 at 20:13

Hi Christianpappy.

Sorry I can't help, but I'm sure someone will come along who can.

When did the pain start, immediately after surgery or just within the last few days? Is it only when you are urinating or all the time? Did you have a catheter in and if so did it hurt then?

Even if you answer all these questions I still won't be able to help, but it may help someone else give you a better answer. 

Dave

User
Posted 09 Apr 2021 at 21:48
Infection probably, need to see the doctor..
User
Posted 10 Apr 2021 at 10:34

I had something similar.  Needed antibiotics.  See a GP today 

User
Posted 10 Apr 2021 at 17:19
Were you tested by the GP with a simple dipstick test or was your urine sent to the hospital for a proper test? Some UTIs are very difficult to diagnose.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 10 Apr 2021 at 23:37

Christian 

There are lots of articles about dip stick and Lab culture tests not picking up infections. I frequently get culture reports that say no action or borderline, then a few days later get positive results and I am given antibiotics. 

I have a permanent Catheter so am more prone to infections. A pain in the gland or bell end is a frequent experience I have when an infection is present. Following a pain in the gland i often pass visible debris in my urine and at times a yellow discharge, but still get negative cultures. I get a particular odour when I have an infection, the  smell is a bit like stale smoke.

Another cause of the pain in the gland of the penis I have experienced after surgery was a kidney stone, more painful when actually passing urine and such a relief when it pops out.

So soon after surgery things are probably still healing and debris stuck in the urethera may cause pain.

Less likely but experienced by a few of us on here is migration of surgical hem o lok clips. Supposedly quite rare but it is perhaps more common that we are led to believe. There has been guys who pass the clips naturally. I had three removed surgically.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 11 Apr 2021 at 10:53
Thrush or a reaction to the catheter tubing seem high-up the likelihood stakes!
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 11 Apr 2021 at 14:47

Thanks Chris. I had my urine tested again yesterday and the doctor said it was an infection. No problems with catheter removal. 
Some days the pain is almost more then I can bear other days it’s bearable. There is a bit of smell to the urine and I’m not drinking enough. The doctor said I was dehydrated yesterday. The flow is good at night. 
I have an appointment with my urologist tomorrow.  
thanks so much for your response. 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 09 Apr 2021 at 20:13

Hi Christianpappy.

Sorry I can't help, but I'm sure someone will come along who can.

When did the pain start, immediately after surgery or just within the last few days? Is it only when you are urinating or all the time? Did you have a catheter in and if so did it hurt then?

Even if you answer all these questions I still won't be able to help, but it may help someone else give you a better answer. 

Dave

User
Posted 09 Apr 2021 at 21:48
Infection probably, need to see the doctor..
User
Posted 09 Apr 2021 at 23:02
Speak to GP - could be infection. Things like cystitis or thrush are more common after a catheter

User
Posted 10 Apr 2021 at 10:34

I had something similar.  Needed antibiotics.  See a GP today 

User
Posted 10 Apr 2021 at 15:14

Thanks. I was tested for UTI and it came back negative. Was yours UTI?

User
Posted 10 Apr 2021 at 17:19
Were you tested by the GP with a simple dipstick test or was your urine sent to the hospital for a proper test? Some UTIs are very difficult to diagnose.

User
Posted 10 Apr 2021 at 19:55

Thanks. Lab tested. 

User
Posted 10 Apr 2021 at 23:37

Christian 

There are lots of articles about dip stick and Lab culture tests not picking up infections. I frequently get culture reports that say no action or borderline, then a few days later get positive results and I am given antibiotics. 

I have a permanent Catheter so am more prone to infections. A pain in the gland or bell end is a frequent experience I have when an infection is present. Following a pain in the gland i often pass visible debris in my urine and at times a yellow discharge, but still get negative cultures. I get a particular odour when I have an infection, the  smell is a bit like stale smoke.

Another cause of the pain in the gland of the penis I have experienced after surgery was a kidney stone, more painful when actually passing urine and such a relief when it pops out.

So soon after surgery things are probably still healing and debris stuck in the urethera may cause pain.

Less likely but experienced by a few of us on here is migration of surgical hem o lok clips. Supposedly quite rare but it is perhaps more common that we are led to believe. There has been guys who pass the clips naturally. I had three removed surgically.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 11 Apr 2021 at 04:19

Thanks Chris. It’s been 7 weeks since my surgery. The pain started about  10 days after my surgery. Any thoughts? 

User
Posted 11 Apr 2021 at 08:03

Christian.

An infection is probably the most likely you need to get the urine tested again. Pain is often transmitted in the water works system. You say the pain started 10 days post op when did the catheter come out and was the removal straight forward ?

Is the pain constant,  is it worse when passing urine , what are you drinking and how much, are you over doing things. Are you retaining urine in the bladder, does the urine smell. What is your flow like and how much can you urinate each time. What are your doctors suggesting ?

Not ideal so soon after surgery but one of my doctor suggested a cystoscopy and that is when my first clip was found floating in the bladder.

You have been bashed about, and you may just be healing slowly.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 11 Apr 2021 at 10:53
Thrush or a reaction to the catheter tubing seem high-up the likelihood stakes!

User
Posted 11 Apr 2021 at 14:47

Thanks Chris. I had my urine tested again yesterday and the doctor said it was an infection. No problems with catheter removal. 
Some days the pain is almost more then I can bear other days it’s bearable. There is a bit of smell to the urine and I’m not drinking enough. The doctor said I was dehydrated yesterday. The flow is good at night. 
I have an appointment with my urologist tomorrow.  
thanks so much for your response. 

User
Posted 18 Apr 2021 at 15:57

I’ve been on antibiotics for 8 days with very little change with the pain and swelling. Not sure what to do next. Any suggestions. Thanks 

User
Posted 18 Apr 2021 at 17:14

Christian,

When do you get the pain , how long does it last, where is the swelling. What did your urologist say at you last appointment.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 18 Apr 2021 at 18:32
UTIs can be troublesome to get rid of. It's not that uncommon to need two course of ciprofloxacin. Is that what you've been prescribed?

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 18 Apr 2021 at 18:41

Usually It happens when I sit for too long! The swelling is in my right testicle and in lower abdomen. It last 2-3 hours and sometimes all day.  it’s nearly unbearable. He said it would get better in tone it’s been 7 weeks. Thanks so much 

User
Posted 18 Apr 2021 at 18:46

No I’m allergic to it. Acumen ton (sp). 

User
Posted 18 Apr 2021 at 21:45

Christian 

I certainly did not have anything like the symptoms you are having relating to surgery. A few guys on here have mentioned epididymitis.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 18 Apr 2021 at 23:39

Thanks Chris.