I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Radiotherapy Treatment Area

User
Posted 12 Apr 2021 at 22:46

Started Radiotherapy treatment today.  Literature and advice states it is advisable to use moisturiser on the treatment area to reduce skin damage and from it drying out, and also to use high factor sun cream on treatment area when in the sun ... but where is the "treatment area" ?  Does anyone know of a diagram or description that will help me to identify the area where I need to apply said lotions?

User
Posted 12 Apr 2021 at 23:14
You shouldn't be going anywhere near the sun during the treatment John; that advice about suncream is for the future.

If you need to use moisturiser during the RT, be very careful what you use - nothing perfumed. Baby moisturiser or Ph-neutral products only. Check with the RT nurses before using anything. Also use only very plain shower gel- again, baby wash is best.

The area goes from your hip, across your belly and round to the other hip, and from your pubic hair up towards your belly button. If you have dark skin you may hardly be affected but men with fair skin can get sore skin, just like if you have been in the sun for too long.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 13 Apr 2021 at 07:06

I describe it as a band all around your body from your naval down to the base of your penis.

You should ask the radiographers what to use on it. There are many products which you mustn't use. I didn't use anything and there was no visible effect, except most hair in that band fell out a couple of weeks after treatment (which no cream would prevent), but regrew about 6 weeks later. The regrowth happened to coincide with a pump clinic appointment, and looked like really neat manscaping at that point as it was all dead straight and about 1cm long, which the pump guy even commented on.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 12 Apr 2021 at 23:14
You shouldn't be going anywhere near the sun during the treatment John; that advice about suncream is for the future.

If you need to use moisturiser during the RT, be very careful what you use - nothing perfumed. Baby moisturiser or Ph-neutral products only. Check with the RT nurses before using anything. Also use only very plain shower gel- again, baby wash is best.

The area goes from your hip, across your belly and round to the other hip, and from your pubic hair up towards your belly button. If you have dark skin you may hardly be affected but men with fair skin can get sore skin, just like if you have been in the sun for too long.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 13 Apr 2021 at 07:06

I describe it as a band all around your body from your naval down to the base of your penis.

You should ask the radiographers what to use on it. There are many products which you mustn't use. I didn't use anything and there was no visible effect, except most hair in that band fell out a couple of weeks after treatment (which no cream would prevent), but regrew about 6 weeks later. The regrowth happened to coincide with a pump clinic appointment, and looked like really neat manscaping at that point as it was all dead straight and about 1cm long, which the pump guy even commented on.