Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Raised serum calcium

User
Posted 18 Apr 2021 at 23:36

Hi All

I’m 58 with family history of prostate cancer so have had regular PSA checks. My father’s brother died in his mid 50’s and four uncles on my mother’s side have cancer, all aged between 69 and 80, the eldest at stage 4. After 5 years hovering around 0.6, only going as high as 1.4 one year and then dropping back to 0.7 in 2019 my PSA has suddenly risen to 5.5. I have had none of the usual symptoms but I have recently had what I think was UTI or acute prostatitis (every symptom on NHS website except back pain including a tiny spot of blood and also a creamy discharge!)which took 2 lots of antibiotics to clear. PSA blood test was done a couple of weeks after finishing antibiotics. DRE also done, doctor said there was a small nodule which would warrant further investigation so has arranged an MRI and biopsy for this week. What has REALLY worried me is the doctor has asked for a repeat bone profile blood test as the first one was abnormally high. Googling hypercalcaemia would suggest bone metastases. Would that be possible with such a low PSA level? I’m worried out of my mind.

I would really appreciate any advice 

Thanks

Mark

User
Posted 19 Apr 2021 at 07:40
I haven't heard of anyone being diagnosed with M X disease by blood test alone. You would need a bone scan OR obvious symptoms at least.

It's a tough time waiting for MRI etc but you will get through it..

Why not ask your Doctor why he has requested the bloods?

User
Posted 19 Apr 2021 at 10:28

Hi Francij1

Thanks for your reply. I have read so much on the internet (too much probably!!) which says that high calcium levels are usually a sign of bone metastasis as when the bone breaks down it starts to release calcium into the blood stream. However I’ve also read that men with P Ca bone mets are more likely to have low serum calcium because P Ca bone mets are predominantly osteoblastic (bone forming) and trap serum calcium within the bone and it’s only at the later stage that the bone can start to break down and release calcium into the blood. I’m totally confused. There are people on here with very low PSA levels who were found to have bone mets at first diagnosis but most at that stage have had sky high PSA. Has anyone had similar levels of PSA/calcium at this stage?

User
Posted 19 Apr 2021 at 13:31

I don't think there is much point in worrying about things. You will have the biopsy and the MRI results in a little while. 

I spoke to someone involved in air crash investigation once. After a fatal air crash they do all sorts of tests on the pilot's body and usually find lots of medical problems. The crash is often because they ran out of fuel, or flew in to a cloud and then hit a tall mountain.

But if you start looking for medical problems you will find them in everyone and most of them are never really a problem. Maybe you had a glass of milk before the blood test!

Dave

User
Posted 19 Apr 2021 at 15:41
It is really, REALLY rare to have bone mets without a huge increase in PSA, and only happens with rare and exotic varieties of prostate cancer. It's so vanishingly unlike that it's not worth worrying about. Let the diagnostic process run its course and you'll know where things stand.

Best wishes,

Chris