I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Can you change treatment choice?

User
Posted 19 Apr 2021 at 10:07

Hi all, thanks for your support so far. My dad has recently been diagnosed with localised prostate 3 + 4 Gleason,T2, PSA was 14. 
Took him a while to decide on treatment but went with hormone tablets and Brachytherapy.

Started hormones almost two weeks ago. Went back to hospital for ultrasound, ready for brachytherapy and did a flow test.

Results back and doc thinks cancer is protruding out, upgraded from intermediate to high risk, from T2, to T3a, from 6 months hormones to 12 months and now has to have radio as well.

My question is, how worried should we be, also, seeing as he has to have radiotherapy ANYWAY now, should he consider not having the brachytherapy and just go for the 4 weeks radio he was offered a few weeks ago.

Would mean hormone injections not tablets which he’s already started.

Any advice and help would be very appreciated.

User
Posted 19 Apr 2021 at 11:16

Sorry your Dad is going through this. My understanding is that a combination of brachytherapy and external beam radiotherapy is a good combination for higher risk prostate cancer e.g. T3 or above.

It sounds like the oncologist is doing the right thing and giving your Dad the best chance.

Edited by member 19 Apr 2021 at 13:05  | Reason: Not specified

Ido4

User
Posted 19 Apr 2021 at 15:38
The radiation will be tailored for your dad's individual treatment, so he will get what's best for him.

Best wishes,

Chris