I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

How bad is this going to get?

User
Posted 19 Apr 2021 at 10:08

Radical LP Thurs 15th. Home Fri 16th. In despair Sun 17th. Pain. Pipes. Blood & Constipation and more pain. 

Totally unprepared for this level of discomfort/sufferring. (my fault) 

User
Posted 19 Apr 2021 at 11:59

I had my RALP exactly 2 weeks before you and now I am able to do more than just potter around.  Where are you suffering the pain?  I found the constipation probably the most painful (relieved by passing wind of even better a movement of sorts).  The catheter can be a little painful.  Keeping things clean helped a lot. I had very little blood.  Since the catheter came out I've not really looked back.  In other words you can expect things to get better pretty quickly - it's very early days.  Best of luck!

User
Posted 19 Apr 2021 at 15:44
You'll feel 100x better once the catheter is out and the surgical staples have been removed. Just have to get through this first couple of weeks. Take it a day at a time.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 19 Apr 2021 at 15:45

Hopefully, it shouldn't get any worse and should get better over the next week or so.

If you can manage to make yourself walk (slowly) it will help with recovery and constipation. I got up off the bed every couple of hours and shuffled round the garden and made myself walk slowly round the block once or twice a day.

I was advised to eat stewed apples at least once a day (which I did) to help reduce constipation. Don't know if it helped but if you like stewed apples, give it a go.

Once the catheter comes out, it's a whole different world of mobility.

User
Posted 19 Apr 2021 at 16:18

If the Catheter is making your penis sore get some instilagel or hydrocaine from your pharmacist or GP. It is about £3 and is designed for catheter care, it contains lube , anesthetic and antiseptic.

Talk to your GP about the constipation, they may well advise upping the dose of constipation meds.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 16 May 2021 at 11:24

Belated thanks for the helpful responses.  4+ weeks on and things did improve, particularly after the catheter removal, ( I can't believe how anyone could bear living with one of these ) Physically pretty much OK now, - bladder control is functionally pretty normal, which is pleasingly better than I expected. Back in gym and looking to return to climbing soon.  Starting to get to grips with the ED issue - feels like the battery is flat or starter motor solenoid isn't energising at the moment..   

User
Posted 16 May 2021 at 18:34

For ED, it would be good to be on Tadalafil now, either 5mg daily low dose, or 2x20mg/week. Even if it won't give you erections, it will help blood flow.

You could also ask about a pump, although people are usually told not to use that until 8 weeks after the op. Good to get an appointment booked though.

User
Posted 16 May 2021 at 18:51
Hang in there Gareth s63, sounds like you turned the corner , well done