I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Enzalutamide and beyond.

User
Posted 22 Apr 2021 at 11:06

Diagnosed with Meta Prostate Cancer in Aug 2019, and started on Hormone Therapy, followed by Chemotherapy (Docataxel) and 6 x Radiotherapy.  By November 2020 PSA was rising dramatically, so put on Enzalutamide, which had seen equally dramatic fall in PSA.  No major, or even really significant side effects to any of this yet.

Interested to know what other peoples experiences of Enzalutamide have been -

1.  how long it continues to work, and

2.  any long term consequences?

Also, what comes next ... ? 

My oncologist talked to me last year about not rushing into new treatments, since there were only so many available - a bit like fighting in a battle but with only a limited number of rounds of amunition - we don't want to use them up too quickly.  So I'm now using up my fourth round of amo - how many more, possibly, do I have before the battle is finally over ?  (and it turns into something akin to that scene in Black Hawk Down - you'll know what I mean if you've seen the movie...)

User
Posted 22 Apr 2021 at 19:03
The trial data suggested that for the men that it works for, enza was effective for about 12 months and increased life expectancy by an average of 5 months I think, but there have been men who have been on enza for a few years.

What next - well hopefully you won't need to think about it for a very long time yet but if you tolerated the docetaxel well, they might suggest that again or a different chemo called cabazitaxel. Radium 223 is a possibility if you have bone mets that become problematic and affect your quality of life.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 27 Apr 2021 at 11:15

Thanks Lyn - I'm hoping for the "very long time" scenario (fingers crossed).  But I'm hoping there may be a few more rounds of amo out there - just in case I need them, which knowing my luck I probably will...

Is Cabazitaxel possibly the chemotherapy one of the doctors described to me as "a last resort"?  I understand it can be quite brutal.  Hopefully not.

Edited by member 16 Apr 2022 at 23:50  | Reason: Not specified