I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Dad's Prognosis?

User
Posted 27 Apr 2021 at 13:05

Hi I'm new to the group as my dad has just been diagnosed with prostate cancer. 

He has been told that the CT scan results show spread to his pelvis.

He is currently on Zoladex injections and has an appointment with his oncologist next week.  Biopsy has been taken today. 

Consultant has said he has many years left but how many is "many"?  Im terrified of losing him. 

User
Posted 06 May 2021 at 11:04
Hi , my OH Gary is a lot younger than your dad and was diagnosed at the age of 55 ,his PSA was 23 and Gleason 4+5 and had spread beyond the prostate into his pelvic lymph nodes. Gary had 6 sessions of chemo that thankfully went well and he continued to work throughout . He didn’t have radiotherapy but was given other drugs (Abi/Enzo) . That was 5 1/2 years ago and he’s still going strong !

It does get easier,you just have to adjust to a new norm .

You will get lots of advice on this site . There’s always someone that has been through similar diagnosis and treatment.

Keep strong for dad and also look after yourself.

Best wishes

Debby

User
Posted 27 Apr 2021 at 15:34

How ‘many’ years have you got?

Take heart from the consultant’s advice, and he and others here will know more when the biopsy results come through. They might take a couple of weeks, so the oncologist might not have them to hand next week.

Please come back with more information when you have it, including his PSA on diagnosis, his Gleason score post-biopsy, and his age.

Dad can look forward to a course of Hormone Therapy (the Zoladex he’s already on), probably others, and targeted Radiotherapy to kill off as many metastases as possible, and hopefully a long life living with cancer, as so many do.

A prostate cancer diagnosis is not definitely a guaranteed death sentence, as all the other male correspondents here can attest to. In fact, most men die with prostate cancer, rather than of it.

Best of luck to Dad.

Cheers, John.

Edited by member 02 Jul 2021 at 17:07  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 03 Jul 2021 at 06:15

That PSA response to the systemic treatment is great and bodes well for the future.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 27 Apr 2021 at 15:34

How ‘many’ years have you got?

Take heart from the consultant’s advice, and he and others here will know more when the biopsy results come through. They might take a couple of weeks, so the oncologist might not have them to hand next week.

Please come back with more information when you have it, including his PSA on diagnosis, his Gleason score post-biopsy, and his age.

Dad can look forward to a course of Hormone Therapy (the Zoladex he’s already on), probably others, and targeted Radiotherapy to kill off as many metastases as possible, and hopefully a long life living with cancer, as so many do.

A prostate cancer diagnosis is not definitely a guaranteed death sentence, as all the other male correspondents here can attest to. In fact, most men die with prostate cancer, rather than of it.

Best of luck to Dad.

Cheers, John.

Edited by member 02 Jul 2021 at 17:07  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 06 May 2021 at 08:25

Update : Dad has his first appointment with the oncologist this week.  Biopsy results not yet in.

The cancer has spread to a small area in his pelvis but no spread elsewhere.  This is to be treated with a 6 month course of chemo and potentially some radiotherapy afterwards. 

His PSA levels have dropped from 75 (!) to 0.25 since February - I assume this is the zoladex doing its job.  Hoping that the zoladex continues to starve the cancer for many years. 

Has anyone else had a similar diagnosis to my dad? He is aged 68

Edited by member 06 May 2021 at 08:44  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 06 May 2021 at 11:04
Hi , my OH Gary is a lot younger than your dad and was diagnosed at the age of 55 ,his PSA was 23 and Gleason 4+5 and had spread beyond the prostate into his pelvic lymph nodes. Gary had 6 sessions of chemo that thankfully went well and he continued to work throughout . He didn’t have radiotherapy but was given other drugs (Abi/Enzo) . That was 5 1/2 years ago and he’s still going strong !

It does get easier,you just have to adjust to a new norm .

You will get lots of advice on this site . There’s always someone that has been through similar diagnosis and treatment.

Keep strong for dad and also look after yourself.

Best wishes

Debby

User
Posted 02 Jul 2021 at 13:58

Apologies for the delay in posting an update, its all been a bit of a whirlwind to say the least. 

Gleason Score of 9 (i know this is not great!) with 1 met  on pelvis and spread to para-aortic lymph node 

Dad is continuing with the zoladex and had round 3/6 of chemo this week.  He seems to be doing ok - just gets tired if he does too much. 

Bone & CT scan after chemo has been completed to see whether radiotherapy is next step. 

PSA down to 0.01

User
Posted 03 Jul 2021 at 06:15

That PSA response to the systemic treatment is great and bodes well for the future.

User
Posted 12 Jul 2021 at 14:53

I really do hope so.  The chemo is gruelling at the moment