Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Herbal supplement to help the bladder at night

User
Posted 30 Apr 2021 at 08:31

Hi there,

My fathers suffering with Prostate cancer currently on hormone therapy and will be starting radiotherapy soon.

He's struggling with getting a decent nights sleep his bladder keep waking him up roughly every 2 hours every night. Are there any good herbal supplements that can help with this?

Cheers

User
Posted 10 May 2021 at 08:43
Okay thanks for your input will look into this
User
Posted 15 Jan 2022 at 10:58

At a support group meeting earlier this week, several members said red wine really helped them in the same way.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 30 Apr 2021 at 14:50
Is he already on Tamulosin and or Finasteride prescribed on the NHS by his GP?

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 30 Apr 2021 at 17:17

I don't think Finasteride (or Dutasteride) will do anything if you're on hormone therapy for prostate cancer (which does what they do, and more).

Having said that, I have come across several people on both, but they were taking Finasteride (or Dutasteride) before starting hormone therapy for prostate cancer, and it may simply be that no one thought to stop it.

Tamsulosin is worth a go if he's peeing slowly at night - ask his GP if he can try it.

Edited by member 30 Apr 2021 at 17:45  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 May 2021 at 09:05

Thanks for the reply.

He was prescibed Tamsulosin but he came out with hot red itchy skin and couldn't continue with it so he was then prescribed Solifenacin which is better no skin irritation however he still cant get a decent nights sleep. His flow is fine it's just his bladder keeps waking him up at night to pee at least 3 times.

User
Posted 04 May 2021 at 09:36
He needs bladder re-training, not tablets or supplements. Ask the GP whether there is a continence clinic you can be referred to.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 10 May 2021 at 08:43
Okay thanks for your input will look into this
User
Posted 25 May 2021 at 18:21

I have had this problem for years - long before I was diagnosed with PCa -  more fool me for not going to  my GP.   The solution I found then still works for me now, with triptoreline and Enzalutimide surging through my system. 

It seems in my case to be connected with carbohydrate. Eating a bread roll late in the evening or a heavy carbohydrate meal earlier on reduces nocturnal trips to the toilet from four or more down to one. Last night I had Ryvita with peanut butter (which I see contains sugar) and had none at all.   This works for successive nights with declining effect until I have to reset the clock with no carbs at all.  Then it can start again. 

Clearly insulin is involved. I have had my blood tested for diabetes types I and II,  but glucose remains normal. My GP was mildly interested but saw no cause for further investigation. I have tried to find an endocrinologist to explain it, without success. 

Might be worth a try? 

Edited by member 25 May 2021 at 18:22  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 25 May 2021 at 20:06

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Thanks for the reply.

He was prescibed Tamsulosin but he came out with hot red itchy skin and couldn't continue with it so he was then prescribed Solifenacin which is better no skin irritation however he still cant get a decent nights sleep. His flow is fine it's just his bladder keeps waking him up at night to pee at least 3 times.

I swapped from solifenacin to Regurin XL, trospium chloride. I used them treat bladder spasms caused by a permanent Catheter. 

The solifenacin took a few days to kick in then after a few weeks became ineffective. I found Regurin far more effective.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 15 Jan 2022 at 10:44
Hi there, I'm on tamsulosin, which seems to help. Thanks to this thread I now know why I get itchy skin! I didn't realise that was a side effect.

At one point I took myself off tamsulosin for a few days, but went back on it pretty quickly when my peeing got ridiculously frequent.

However... since new year I have had two really good nights' sleep, including last night, when I haven't been up at all for a pee. The common factor in both nights' sleep was white wine!

Not making any curative claims for it, just saying...

(it was Soave if that helps)

User
Posted 15 Jan 2022 at 10:58

At a support group meeting earlier this week, several members said red wine really helped them in the same way.

User
Posted 15 Jan 2022 at 15:55

I have a permanent catheter and use a night bag so i visually see the amount of urine I pass over night. I do often notice my overnight output is lower after alcohol, Bailey's seem to drop the output more than Gin or Vodka.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 15 Jan 2022 at 18:07

Hi Chris ,
Can I ask what catheter you have 
Regards Barry

User
Posted 15 Jan 2022 at 18:37

Barry.

It is a suprapubic catheter, had it for five years now due to radiation cystitis caused by salvage RT. The advantage is i don't get up at night. The disadvantage is getting it changed every eight weeks.

Thanks Chris