Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Anyone with similar pain ?

User
Posted 02 May 2021 at 19:07

Hi folks,

Brief summary, 53 years old, did a lot of cycling last September (hour plus every morning) as part of a challenge, I cycle for several hours every week, but this was much more than usual, started getting a pain in my left buttock/hip, didn't think a lot of it, felt like I had been kicked up the butt. About October had blood in my semen and pain on ejaculation. Spoke to my GP as I had prostatitis about 10 years ago and can remember some of the warning signs, they tell me it's muscular. Battled with them for a while until I insisted on a PSA test in December, 9.6. Tried antibiotics, no improvement, PSA 8.7 in January. Appointment with NHS urology kept getting cancelled and moved so I went private. Had an MRI scan within 2 weeks, PIRAD 3, consultant wanted to do a biopsy in case anything was lurking. That has come back as 3+3 and only in 2 cores of 19, so now on active surveillance (diagnosed this week), which I'm fairly happy about, I just want to stop the pain as it's reducing my sleep to about 5 hours a night.

The pain is not sharp, but nagging and dull. I find taking 1 Ibu + 2 paracetemol 3 times a day keeps it under control, but just wondered if anyone else has had similar and what they did to control the pain. I'm a little worried about taking pain meds constantly.

My consultant has suggested a deep prostate massage under general anaesthetic, but I've read good and bad things about that, and would like to avoid a general if possible.

As far as cycling goes, I now wear padded shorts and have changed my bikes to noseless saddles. No idea if this was anything to do with my pain/condition, but I'm not taking any chances. I think the benefits of cycling to my physical and mental health outweigh any risks.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Take care,

Neil

User
Posted 02 May 2021 at 20:29
The pain is unlikely to have anything to do with the prostate cancer and having prostate cancer is unlikely to have anything to do with frequent cycling. Not sure how prostate massage might help unless they also found evidence of chronic infection during the biopsy, in which case a prostatitis-specific antibiotic followed by prostate massage might be a good thing to try.

Sounds to me more likely to be nerve damage - have you been referred to a pain clinic for further assessment?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 02 May 2021 at 20:30

Hi Neil,

There's quite a few keen cyclists on here. I became suspicious after an episode of severe perineal pain (left side) which had me off cycling for a week in November 2019. I got myself checked out after that and it turned out to be PC. Not really the same or even similar to yours. Not a muscular pain or anywhere near the hip. But it did feel exactly like being kicked in the bum, but near the scrotum.

I had a week out of the saddle and spent most of it lying down. Also made more of a conscious effort not to scoot forward onto the narrow part and to sit on the sit bones. Three weeks later I rode my first solo hundred mile ride.

I now have a snub-nose saddle with a large perineal cutout. Proper padded shorts for anything over 10 miles is pretty much essential too.

_____

Two cannibals named Ectomy and Prost, all alone on a Desert island.

Prost was the strongest, so Prost ate Ectomy.

User
Posted 02 May 2021 at 21:55
Maybe hip arthritis if it's deep in your butt cheek. I had what I thought was sciatica until I realised it wasn't going down my leg - just in my butt cheeks. A spinal MRI, and hip x-ray revealed my hip is knackered..
User
Posted 03 May 2021 at 16:55

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

It is a bit worrying that there are a lot of cyclists here, but may be for the above reason.

When I said "There's quite a few keen cyclists on here" it was intended to mean "you are not alone". I doubt the proportion of keen cyclists here is any different from the male population in general.

I only took up cycling ~2 years before my diagnosis. When I went to talk to the oncologist about RT I asked him how long my cancer had been there. He said "probably at least 5 years. It would probably have started troubling you in about 6 more and killed you in 10 if left undiscovered."

So I'm thanking cycling for helping me discover I had PC. 

_____

User
Posted 03 May 2021 at 18:54
BAUS did some data research with British Cycling and equivalent organisations in Europe. They concluded that elite cyclists live with a slightly higher than average PSA but are at no increased risk of prostate cancer. It led to guidance for urologists around the UK not to biopsy frequent cyclists just based on PSA alone.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 04 May 2021 at 07:55

https://www.nursingtimes.net/news/behind-the-headlines/cycling-linked-to-prostate-cancer-but-not-infertility-16-07-2014/

On the other hand, the CTC (cyclists touring club) found an "association" between cycling and prostate cancer. I was cycling about 10,000 miles a year for many years prior to diagnosis. I have worried ever since if this was in someway self inflicted.

I still cycle, after treatment, but have somewhat moderated the mileage.

User
Posted 04 May 2021 at 09:49
It wasn't CTC research, it was UCL I think in 2012/13. As it says in this newspaper report, there was a statistical link between men over 50 cycling more than 9 hours per week but it could simply be that those men are health aware and more likely to see their GP for health check ups. Other suggestions from UCL included unfit middle-aged men taking up cycling and then seeing their GP when the aches & pains kick in.
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 02 May 2021 at 20:29
The pain is unlikely to have anything to do with the prostate cancer and having prostate cancer is unlikely to have anything to do with frequent cycling. Not sure how prostate massage might help unless they also found evidence of chronic infection during the biopsy, in which case a prostatitis-specific antibiotic followed by prostate massage might be a good thing to try.

Sounds to me more likely to be nerve damage - have you been referred to a pain clinic for further assessment?
User
Posted 02 May 2021 at 20:30

Hi Neil,

There's quite a few keen cyclists on here. I became suspicious after an episode of severe perineal pain (left side) which had me off cycling for a week in November 2019. I got myself checked out after that and it turned out to be PC. Not really the same or even similar to yours. Not a muscular pain or anywhere near the hip. But it did feel exactly like being kicked in the bum, but near the scrotum.

I had a week out of the saddle and spent most of it lying down. Also made more of a conscious effort not to scoot forward onto the narrow part and to sit on the sit bones. Three weeks later I rode my first solo hundred mile ride.

I now have a snub-nose saddle with a large perineal cutout. Proper padded shorts for anything over 10 miles is pretty much essential too.

_____

User
Posted 02 May 2021 at 21:55
Maybe hip arthritis if it's deep in your butt cheek. I had what I thought was sciatica until I realised it wasn't going down my leg - just in my butt cheeks. A spinal MRI, and hip x-ray revealed my hip is knackered..
User
Posted 03 May 2021 at 15:49

Thanks all, I will talk to my GP about possibly a hip x-ray and pain clinic. Arthritis does run in my family so that's a definite possibility. May all just be a coincidence as I'm getting old and worn out !

I'm not suggesting that cycling could cause cancer, but we do know it raises your PSA and has been linked to prostatitis, but the evidence for the latter is not proven, as people who exercise may be more health aware and likely to seek treatment than the average.

It is a bit worrying that there are a lot of cyclists here, but may be for the above reason.

Take care all,
Neil

Edited by member 03 May 2021 at 15:51  | Reason: Spotted spelling mistake !

User
Posted 03 May 2021 at 16:55

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

When I said "There's quite a few keen cyclists on here" it was intended to mean "you are not alone". I doubt the proportion of keen cyclists here is any different from the male population in general.

I only took up cycling ~2 years before my diagnosis. When I went to talk to the oncologist about RT I asked him how long my cancer had been there. He said "probably at least 5 years. It would probably have started troubling you in about 6 more and killed you in 10 if left undiscovered."

So I'm thanking cycling for helping me discover I had PC. 

_____

User
Posted 03 May 2021 at 18:54
BAUS did some data research with British Cycling and equivalent organisations in Europe. They concluded that elite cyclists live with a slightly higher than average PSA but are at no increased risk of prostate cancer. It led to guidance for urologists around the UK not to biopsy frequent cyclists just based on PSA alone.
User
Posted 04 May 2021 at 07:55

https://www.nursingtimes.net/news/behind-the-headlines/cycling-linked-to-prostate-cancer-but-not-infertility-16-07-2014/

On the other hand, the CTC (cyclists touring club) found an "association" between cycling and prostate cancer. I was cycling about 10,000 miles a year for many years prior to diagnosis. I have worried ever since if this was in someway self inflicted.

I still cycle, after treatment, but have somewhat moderated the mileage.

User
Posted 04 May 2021 at 09:49
It wasn't CTC research, it was UCL I think in 2012/13. As it says in this newspaper report, there was a statistical link between men over 50 cycling more than 9 hours per week but it could simply be that those men are health aware and more likely to see their GP for health check ups. Other suggestions from UCL included unfit middle-aged men taking up cycling and then seeing their GP when the aches & pains kick in.