I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Walking , peeing and pelvic floor ex.

User
Posted 03 May 2021 at 19:15

I am fit , weigh 80k , am 66 , 8 weeks out from surgery , was a L9 so had RPS. I seem to be doing ok(I think) with incontinence , I'm down to 2 pads a day . Normally start with a 3 mile walk before my first drink ,busy in the morning doing jobs (Pad leakage approx 30ml) , resting , reading in the afternoon (Pad leakage approx 15ml) .  Dry at night but up about 4 times. Leakage varies and is much worse when I'm tired. I do PFE 4 times a day , 10 slow repeated 10 times followed by 10 rapid.

Issue : I leak quite a lot when walkng during the day eg : evening walk resulted in an additional 30-40ml. sometimes worse.

Question : Does anyone have suggestions about how to reduce leakage when walking ( hedges not always an option) or is it just a question of time ?

Are there any exercises in addition to the PFE I could do or would this be too much  ?

Many thanks. apologies if this is repeating other questions.

User
Posted 04 May 2021 at 07:05

Nigel

I can walk for quite a distance without a leak, as soon as the dog stops for a poo, I leak. 

Keep doing the PFEs, can't really offer any other advice

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 04 May 2021 at 14:28
8 weeks out = too soon to be worrying.
User
Posted 05 May 2021 at 18:21
Many thanks. No short cuts then. I shall choose walks with hedges and fields. Patience is a virtue I am cultivating.
User
Posted 05 May 2021 at 22:42

Hi,  it's usual to be dry first thing and as the sphincter weakens in the day to start to leak.  As the sphincter gets stronger the leaking starts later.

Walking does cause leakage but gets better over time.  Walking later in the day will likely leak more.

That you get up several times in the night might suggest you're drinking too late in the evening.   Perhaps no drinking after 7pm will reduce it.

I learnt most of that the hard way.  Regards Peter

User
Posted 06 May 2021 at 08:45
Thanks Peter. A week at a time. Yesterday was very good , visiting my dad , 2 hours down the allotment and 8ml leakage between 6am and 11pm. I have my last drink at 6pm but eat a large orange about 9pm. The urologist told me the bladder was a muscle ( I thought it was like a balloon) and may not return to its normal size. I've been peeing every two hours for nearly 18 months so habit must come into it.

Many thanks Nigel

User
Posted 06 May 2021 at 09:54
My OH had this trouble with walking our dogs. We walk the mutts in the evening around 6.30 ish and he found that walking made him leak. He pretty much solved this by cutting out his cup of tea with his dinner which we eat around 5 pm.

With no fluid working his way through the system he found he could get round without too much problem.

LW

User
Posted 06 May 2021 at 12:21
The caffeine in tea may make things worse too
User
Posted 13 May 2021 at 19:25

Thanks to all. Days vary but seem to be improving.