I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Worried about DRE result

User
Posted 04 May 2021 at 12:54

Hi , I was looking for advice , around 9 days ago started urinating a lot , no pain , urine clear , no trouble starting . I went to doctors and they thought UTI , didn’t clear with antibiotics so went to doctor today who gave me a DRE , said prostate was enlarged but mostly smooth but didn’t know if he could feel a nodule right at the bottom or if it wasn’t even part of the prostate , he has took a PSA test , I’m out my mind with worry and just really looking for advice 

User
Posted 04 May 2021 at 13:33

Hi Scott, I hope the blood for your PSA test was drawn before the DRE as that will raise your PSA slightly. It is very worrying for you and waiting on results is difficult. Hopefully all is well.

Ido4

User
Posted 04 May 2021 at 14:53
Not much point arranging to see a urologist until you have the result of your PSA test.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 04 May 2021 at 15:57
An MRI is a standard diagnostic test for prostate cancer. May as well have it done to be on the safe side.

Best wishes,

Chris
User
Posted 04 May 2021 at 21:35

On the balance of things at your age it's unusual to have Prostate Cancer.  An enlarged prostate is often benign and quite common.  A raised psa with an enlarged prostate is often benign and quite common.  The enlarged prostate gives off more psa.     Urinary symptoms can happen for a lot of reasons.

It's a matter of probability and only a biopsy can actually say for certain.  Even an MRI can only tell the doctor where to put the biopsy needles.    That is if the MRI finds anything suspicious.

There are some figures somewhere about the probability but I'm not sure where I saw it. I recall that with my psa of 9.9 and age at the time of 67 the probability was less than 50% which means over 50% of cases must be tested and found not to have it.    If I were you I'd feel some concern but try to tell myself it's unlikely.

Edited by member 04 May 2021 at 21:36  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 06 May 2021 at 11:41
A PSA of 1.3 is within the normal range, so I really wouldn't get too stressed about it. Your symptoms are not those of prostate cancer.

Best wishes,

Chris
User
Posted 06 May 2021 at 15:45
I think you may have a UTI regardless of what GP said. These are not always apparent and can sometimes need more than one antibiotic, so for some men can take quite a time to resolve.
Barry
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 04 May 2021 at 13:33

Hi Scott, I hope the blood for your PSA test was drawn before the DRE as that will raise your PSA slightly. It is very worrying for you and waiting on results is difficult. Hopefully all is well.

Ido4

User
Posted 04 May 2021 at 13:35

Thank you , yes the doctor took the blood before my DRE , I’m now currently trying to get back in touch as I have Bupa cover and they are wanting me to go see a urologist sooner , of course needing the GP referral 

User
Posted 04 May 2021 at 14:53
Not much point arranging to see a urologist until you have the result of your PSA test.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 04 May 2021 at 14:59

Bupa where more thinking about doing an MRI ?? Don’t know if they think it will help 

User
Posted 04 May 2021 at 15:57
An MRI is a standard diagnostic test for prostate cancer. May as well have it done to be on the safe side.

Best wishes,

Chris
User
Posted 04 May 2021 at 16:02

Thank you Chris , I think that was what they were thinking 

User
Posted 04 May 2021 at 17:34

Also a quick question to anyone reading who had urinary symptoms , namely going frequently , did they build up or was it suddenly , mines where totally normal then one night at work it was like someone had switched my waterworks on , thank you in advance 

User
Posted 04 May 2021 at 21:35

On the balance of things at your age it's unusual to have Prostate Cancer.  An enlarged prostate is often benign and quite common.  A raised psa with an enlarged prostate is often benign and quite common.  The enlarged prostate gives off more psa.     Urinary symptoms can happen for a lot of reasons.

It's a matter of probability and only a biopsy can actually say for certain.  Even an MRI can only tell the doctor where to put the biopsy needles.    That is if the MRI finds anything suspicious.

There are some figures somewhere about the probability but I'm not sure where I saw it. I recall that with my psa of 9.9 and age at the time of 67 the probability was less than 50% which means over 50% of cases must be tested and found not to have it.    If I were you I'd feel some concern but try to tell myself it's unlikely.

Edited by member 04 May 2021 at 21:36  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 May 2021 at 21:43

Thank you peter , when he said it was enlarged I was like that’s ok , I’ve read about that . It was more when he was unsure if he felt a nodule I panicked, then he was like hmm it may not have been , thank you for the reassuring words , I feel a bit better than at the doctors this morning , though I have a ferocious headache as I think I’ve stressed myself to the max 😃

User
Posted 06 May 2021 at 11:09

I feel like I’m being a pain and I apologise if I am , my bloods came back today and my PSA level is 1.3 , I don’t know in the scheme of things how good or bad that really is but doctor says within range , I’ve still been referred to a urologist as the peeing still goes on , I don’t pee at night but during the day I’m like a racehorse , should I still be worried as I have been worried sick and I thank all of you for reading and replying to this , you have been a great help.

User
Posted 06 May 2021 at 11:41
A PSA of 1.3 is within the normal range, so I really wouldn't get too stressed about it. Your symptoms are not those of prostate cancer.

Best wishes,

Chris
User
Posted 06 May 2021 at 15:45
I think you may have a UTI regardless of what GP said. These are not always apparent and can sometimes need more than one antibiotic, so for some men can take quite a time to resolve.
Barry
User
Posted 06 May 2021 at 16:15

Thank you both for your reply , I have the referral letter and he’s basically playing it safe , says my PSA is normal but wants the urologist to check a small nodule he may have found out of the inferior aspect , he did say he’s just wanting the urologist to rule out a prostate lesion in the letter , MSSU was also clear