I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Constipation with rt

User
Posted 11 May 2021 at 10:44

hi all writing on behalf of my husband diagnosed in February yesterday was the first day of radiotherapy and they couldn’t do it because his bowel is not clear even with laxatives and the enema he doesn’t seem to go which is depressing him as he just wants to get in with it any one els had this problem

User
Posted 11 May 2021 at 18:42

Nutu is he giving  the emema time to work, it is easy to feel the need to go and just expel the enema before it dissolves. I was given a book by the hospital telling me what foods to avoid. Keeping hydrated will also help avoid constipation. 

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 12 May 2021 at 08:56

Hi chris

thanks very much for your response he couldn’t have his 2nd session as he had gas in the bowel omg so disappointing but a nurse talked to us about our diet being too healthy too much fibre and gave us a link to the IBS website that shows what to cut out not that he has it but more for guidance so gave him a day off but think your right about enema he isn’t giving it long enough very grateful from us newbies thanks for your time

barbara

User
Posted 12 May 2021 at 10:30

Nutu I am half way through my RT 20/37. I keep a bottle of lactolose in my cupboard and as soon as I get any early signs of constipation I take a dose. Fortunately have not had any issues with it so far although one session I did have gas but a 30 minute walk soon fixed that.  Lots of drink, 3 litres minimum and a maximum of one cup of coffee per day has helped so far.