I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

High blood PSA

User
Posted 11 May 2021 at 17:48

I am 80 yrs old . Had to visit my GP as I had brown coloured semen. He did a basic check urine test etc ,no real problems . Ha  PSA , came back 29 !!. I have no other symptoms, except peeing more often but not at night. He sent a referal to urologist, they have come back, asking for another blood test. Then to make an appointment with them. Wife and I so worried.

User
Posted 11 May 2021 at 20:42
Firstly, a high PSA is simply a flag that investigation is required, so don’t make any assumptions. Wait for your referral and for the diagnostic process to run its course, which might take a couple of months all in.

You should be aware, though, that around 80% of men your age have prostate cancer, so statistically the odds are about 4 to 1 in favour of you having it. Having prostate cancer really is simply a matter of being a man and living long enough. It’s just part of the ageing process. Don’t get stressed about it, though. Most cases don’t require treatment, and the overwhelming majority of men die with it, not from it. If you do have it, and it does require treatment, the treatments available are highly effective and you’ll see out the rest of your natural lifetime.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 11 May 2021 at 23:06
Thanks for your prompt Chris, that has helped, What a useful site this is .
User
Posted 12 May 2021 at 02:20

Men in their fifties and early sixties have a ‘normal’ PSA of up to four. For men in their eighties there is no ‘normal’ PSA level, as 80% of men at that age have prostate cancer anyway.

My friend, aged 86, was diagnosed with what we call PCa, with a PSA of about three hundred, five years ago, and after hormone injections and tablets his PSA dropped to twelve. He is still going strong, with no side-effects whatever from his treatment.

Your urologist evidently doesn’t see your case as matter of extreme urgency (though naturally, you do!), which is why he has asked for another PSA to se if the first one was an aberration.

The fact that you had haemospermia (blood in semen) means there is a possibility of infection, usually cleared up by antibiotics, and urinary tract infections can raise PSA as well as cancer.

There will be lots of tests and a lot of waiting for weeks or months if you are suspected of having PCa, so my advice to you and your wife is “Keep calm and carry on”, and try not to worry too much, as what can you do about it?

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

Edited by member 12 May 2021 at 02:23  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 12 May 2021 at 14:03
Thanks for that John, a great help

Graham

User
Posted 12 May 2021 at 15:19

Thanks for info Chris. Just had 2nd blood test, now a waiting game.

User
Posted 16 May 2021 at 15:53

Hi Chris and John, Off to triage tomorrow at urology unit, absolutely dreading it. Thanks for all comments. There are some brave men on this site . Thanks again.

Edited by member 16 May 2021 at 15:55  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 17 May 2021 at 16:16
I’m not brave, I’m a big baby, although I did watch the Covid injection needles going in and I never felt even a little prick (which is what I ended up with after my prostatectomy)

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 17 May 2021 at 18:58
Hi John, again thanks for your help. Saw urologist this morning, now awaiting MRI scan. Its the waiting I find hard, but have to say 10 out of 10 to the NHS, they have been very quick, in arranging things.

All the best Graham

User
Posted 17 May 2021 at 19:05
It's absolutely not a question of bravery, Graham. You get through it because you've no choice in the matter. None of us wanted this disease, but our numbers came up in life's lottery, nonetheless. Everyone comes to terms with having cancer, because you've got to. Believe it or not, it just becomes "the new normal" and you get on and enjoy life. Enjoy life more than before, in my case, because it puts the other things I used to get stressed about into perspective. Now those things don't bother me. Life is precious: don't waste it stressing about things you've no control over.

Cheers,

Chris

User
Posted 17 May 2021 at 19:15
Thanks for Chris. Wife and I are going to try and look forward, as you say it puts a different perspective on every thing. I can also get very stressed at the slightest problem. Again thanks for your thoughts.

Graham