I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Don't know where I am headed

User
Posted 17 May 2021 at 14:33

I am 50 yrs old and was diagnosed in April with prostate cancer, Gleason 4+3.  The nurse who spoke to me with the results told me that I was a prime candidate for a robotic prostatectomy.  I was also referred for a nuclear medicine (isotope) bone scan which revealed several lesions on the ribs.  There were some which could definitely be attributed to rib fractures but there were another 2-3 which were a bit more suspicious.  I have also had an abdominal CT with contrast which hasn't revealed anything untoward.

I have now been referred for a PET-CT and a probable start on hormone therapy.  I am now seriously worried as I previously thought I was having a prostatectomy and everything would be sorted out!  I am hating the waiting game, just want to get things started.  I am so grateful for the NHS though, as I could not begin to imagine how it would be without it!

User
Posted 17 May 2021 at 16:10
You are in good hands. If you have metastases in your bones, then prostatectomy is pointless and you would need to go on Hormone Therapy and potentially Radio Therapy as well, ASAP.

The PET-PSMA scan is state-of-the-art, and once you have all the test results through, you and your clinicians will be able to see the way forward.

I must say, in my limited experience, prostate cancer usually tends to spread to its adjacent pelvic bone first.

Stand by for plenty of waiting, but I think you’ll come out the other end OK.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 18 May 2021 at 00:26

My bone scan revealed one secondary on the spine (T12) and I was put on hormone therapy straight away. PSA came down from 321 to <0.7 with 3-monthly Decapeptyl and daily Enzalutimide.

The side effects are quite mild in my case - achy joints, mild fatigue - but it was a difference of degree rather than kind. I gather responses vary from person to person - as does everything in this afflication of ours.