I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Surgery update

User
Posted 24 May 2021 at 22:20

Having taken the decision to opt for a prostatectomy which wasn't an easy decision to make I had the operation on the 1st April at St James's hospital. All went well with the surgery and I put that down to the excellent NHS team in Leeds especially my surgeon. It will be 8 weeks on Thursday since my op and the only down sides so far are the incontinence which is nothing like I was expecting, from the day I had the Catherter removed I have had very little leaking only the odd dribble in  certain situations which you learn to recognise and can be prepared for. I only use the Tena shields which are really thin and I only use them at bedtime just incase of any night time accidents. I do not know if  the small  amount of leaking is down to my surgeon or the fact that I have been doing the Kegel excerises since December and have carried on doing them 3 times a day as instructed by the urologist. The Catherter was an inconvenience but only in place for 7 days so no big deal. The other thing is erectile disfunction which is a problem at the moment but I have been told this may improve over time so fingers crossed 🤞.  

I had my first PSA test last Tuesday and as yet I have not received the results or the results from my biopsy of the removed prostate to tell me what my margins were, I am really hoping that the results are good but if not I will cross that bridge when I come to it, I am hoping to hear from my surgeon this week to see where we are at and what is next on this long journey. 

I have started work again and feel fine but I will be glad when I can start weight training and cycling again, then I will feel like things are getting back to normal, so when I have my results I will post them on this fantastic site which really helped me in my early stages with some great advice from people who have gone through this experience. 

Thanks to all those people 

Edited by moderator 24 May 2021 at 22:46  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 25 May 2021 at 06:01
Don't rush the weights! Make sure you start light.
User
Posted 27 May 2021 at 05:59

Hope all goes well with your pathology report and PSA.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 25 May 2021 at 06:01
Don't rush the weights! Make sure you start light.
User
Posted 25 May 2021 at 19:45

Thanks for the advice it's much appreciated, I have not started training yet as I'm waiting until I have spoken to my surgeon to ask his advice.

User
Posted 27 May 2021 at 05:59

Hope all goes well with your pathology report and PSA.