I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Sports Injury

User
Posted 26 May 2021 at 07:51

I had my prostate removed in 2017 (robotic-assisted radical prostatectomy).  I have had the PAS blood tests every 6 months since and all good.  I've played golf for 40 years.  In the last 4 years (progressively worse) I have suffered a constant stream of injuries, tendons, ligaments, cartilage, muscle strains and tares.  It's got to the stage where I am considering giving up the game because I can't get round before something snaps.  I am 74 years old and this could, of course, be simply down to an old body closing down but I wondered whether that prostate gland may have secreted something which my body is now missing?   Is that possible and is there a pill for it? 

User
Posted 26 May 2021 at 11:22

This is an interesting thought that I don't recall having been raised on the forum before and I think the most appropriate answer may be had from the medical profession. As you say, people are increasingly more susceptible to injury as they age, particularly in sports where there is sudden movement. I remember pulling muscles in both legs when playing competitive tennis and table tennis in my fifties. I played golf but only experienced 'Golfer's Elbow' (as opposed to 'Tennis Elbow'), on one occasion whilst playing that set me back for a period. This was long before I had any prostate treatment or diagnosis. I think that once you have sustained an injury as an older person, it takes longer to recover and you are more susceptible to recurrence. My usual golf partner used to go through a warm up programme before playing which is something that professional sports people do and prior to that in the gym paying particular attention to those parts that will be put under stress. Even then they sometimes experience injuries. I assume your injuries occur when swinging rather than walking between shots. So this is likely to be a factor.

For men that are on HT or various drugs muscle wastage and loss of testosterone and infrequent use, could well result in increased risk of injury where sudden/violent movement is involved as well as premature fatigue.

If you can't get a specific answer to your question here, it would be interesting to learn what the medical profession say as regards how much the Prostate may play if at all. I doubt whether it will be significant, although treatment, as mentioned above, could increase the risk of injury.

Edited by member 26 May 2021 at 11:25  | Reason: spelling

Barry
User
Posted 26 May 2021 at 11:32

Do you do any exercise? I'm wondering if the golf might be generating some very short stresses, without the body being in a sufficiently good state to handle those stresses.

Also, doing this sort of thing without warming up increases risk of injury, and this effect gets worse with age. I never used to bother warming up, but I have more recently generated injuries when I skipped warm-up, e.g. I pulled both quads jumping on my bicycle and sprinting off, which is the sort of thing I never used to need to think about.

User
Posted 26 May 2021 at 21:04

I have suffered a couple of tendon problems since having PCa. First one was tennis elbow, I was playing the violin a lot one weekend, a few months after having ciprofloxacin during the biopsy. I don't know if the cipro and the elbow were connected but I have never had tendon problems before.

The second one was about three months ago, I was stretching for a window handle which was just out of reach and injured my shoulder muscle, this was two days after my covid jab, it is possible it is SIRVA.

So I have gone from never having tendon/muscle problems to having a couple, it could be to do with two years of HT, but I guess I have also been getting older and maybe that is the real cause. 

Dave