I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

New drug trial

User
Posted 26 May 2021 at 07:56

On Saturday 8th May the Daily Mail published an article with the byline "Have scientists found key to beating prostate cancer". The trial run by the Royal Marsden Hospital with the Institute of Cancer Research involved the drug "isatuximab" in the treatment of advanced prostate cancer. Does anyone have any information about this trial, or of the results ?

User
Posted 26 May 2021 at 12:29

I only have the article in the daily Mail

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-9555847/Have-scientists-key-beating-prostate-cancer.html

User
Posted 26 May 2021 at 16:32

Sounds promising?

Good luck to everyone coping with the insidious big C

User
Posted 26 May 2021 at 21:15

The article is quite a good read. It goes into enough detail to be able to see why this is significant. The headline is the usual rubbish from journalists, this is not a cure, it's just another small step on the way to better treatment. I have no doubt cancer will one day be relegated to the list of obsolete diseases like leprosy and bubonic plague. 

Dave

User
Posted 26 May 2021 at 22:38
I’m very surprised you think that Dave? Just saying ! Nearly every disease and illness and virus and even HIV has been tackled by mankind to good effect , but despite constant advances in medicine for all cancers it has rarely been beaten , just simply slowed or put on the back-burner for a while. There is hope and then there is hope I guess. I personally think many many cancers will never be beaten , and if they are then they will be at the detriment to a full and happy life. I’m starting to believe in the lord .... we can’t all live forever :-//
User
Posted 26 May 2021 at 23:36

Hi Chris, I don't know how it will come about, but when you look at the discovery of penicillin, or the discovery of cowpox/smallpox vaccine, you see that a scientific breakthrough can suddenly and unpredictably happen. To the above I would also add the discovery that some stomach ulcers are caused by bacteria and are now treatable, and vaccination against HPV virus, has started to prevent cervical cancer (I'm not citing this as a cure for cancer, just as an unpredictable piece of science). 

A big problem with treating cancer is that they are our own cells, so an attack on those cells will result in collateral damage. An interesting article I read on immunotherapy said a trial was having some success against lung cancer, but the damage to healthy lung cells made it impractical. I thought, yes but a similar approach to prostate cancer would be much more profitable, as we certainly don't care if we lose a few healthy prostate cells on the way (some people even choose prostatectomy).

From what I understand of genetics, some cancers are caused by just a few genes getting mutated, could we just turn those genes back off (but only for the cancer cells not the cells we need to keep dividing normally). Could we train the immune system to spot cancer cells wherever they are hiding and attack them? I think the answer two these two questions and perhaps some I haven't thought of is, yes one day. Probably not in our lifetime but probably within the next generation or two.

A story I always think of when discussing curing disease is from a medical school in the USA in the 1950s. An experienced heart surgeon said to the medical students "today 60% of Americans die of heart disease", one of them said "that is terrible we need to do something about that", the heart surgeon said "what would you prefer them to die of?" 

Dave