I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

4 days post surgery

User
Posted 31 May 2021 at 15:12

I’m 4 days post robot assisted surgery and must admit I’m struggling with the catheter. It’s working fine but I can definitely feel it when I walk around and am struggling to sleep at night. I can’t wait until my TWOC

Has anyone else had surgery and struggled with the catheter?

User
Posted 31 May 2021 at 19:58

Hi Steve

I am just over two years post RARP.  The 2 week catheter experience still makes me cringe today.  Just battle through it and it will soon be a distant memory.

I am 61 years old and life has never been as good.  Very busy running a successful business, health is great, ED is returning gradually, full control over bladder.

I visit this site almost daily to remind me of the challenges and fears I faced and those that continue to challenge many of the great contributors to this site.

Good luck on your journey.

kind regards

Steven

User
Posted 31 May 2021 at 20:01

Yes, I don't think you will fund anyone saying it was a pleasurable experience. I didn't have surgery but did end up with a catheter in two occasions, fortunately only a couple of weeks in total. I must admit I found it convenient to be able to go to the pub have a load of beer and not worry too much about visiting the toilet, and not having to get up for a pee in the night was good, but it is not very comfortable most of the time. 

Dave

User
Posted 31 May 2021 at 20:08

Thanks Steven

User
Posted 31 May 2021 at 20:09

Thanks Dave - it’s not very comfortable when I walk, which is the worst of it

User
Posted 31 May 2021 at 21:52

Steve ,get some instilagel or hydrocaine from GP, or pharmacist, it is about £3 a tube/ syringe. It is available without prescription from a pharmasist. It comes in a syringe and is an anesthetic, antiseptic and lubricant, other gels do not have the same properties. The nurses squirt some down the eye of the penis at the side of the catheter. Put a small amount at the eye of the penis and leave for five minutes before inserting the syringe down the end of the penis if required. When I say syringe it is plastic and does not have a needle, just a 3 mm spout. 

As an alternative push the penis towards the body to expose more of the Catheter, squirt the gel onto the catheter and let the penis go, DO NOT pull on the catheter.

Make sure the catheter is secure to prevent movement and rubbing. Wearing a pad can make it more comfortable.

Any questions just ask.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 01 Jun 2021 at 18:36

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

4 days after surgery you should be on the sofa with a cup of tea and Netflix 😁 not walking about to much. 

it’s a horrible thing , for me it was probably the worst part or the whole surgery experience, it was a constant bother in hospital as it didn’t drain properly, uncomfortable beyond belief when home and a constant worry it would leak at night and ruin my mattress. TWOC was an awesome day, and was dry the next day so super chuffed. 

take it easy , time will pass and all the best

User
Posted 01 Jun 2021 at 19:24

Great insight, thanks for that. I’m hoping TWOC will go well and I can get rid of this thing!

User
Posted 01 Jun 2021 at 22:18

I am six years post RARP .I still shudder when I think of the catheter. To me it was the worst part of the operation. I couldn't wait to get it out as I found it so uncomfortable. I would pace the floor in such pain. Stick with it and the relief you feel when it comes out is worth it.
Very best
Gary

Edited by member 01 Jun 2021 at 22:20  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 02 Jun 2021 at 07:01
Thanks Gary. I’m feeling the discomfort and it being the worst part of the op

It’s due to come out soon, I hope it goes well and I walk out without it!!

User
Posted 02 Jun 2021 at 21:36

4 days after surgery you should be on the sofa with a cup of tea and Netflix 😁 not walking about to much. 

After RARP I was told to "walk as much as you feel able and go up and down stairs, but if the colour of the urine in your bag goes pink, you're doing too much". (I don't know if advice is different for open surgery).

Walking with a catheter in is quite hard (catheter bag shuffle), but it won't be for long. πŸ˜ƒ

_____

Two cannibals named Ectomy and Prost, all alone on a Desert island.

Prost was the strongest, so Prost ate Ectomy.

User
Posted 09 Jun 2021 at 15:08

Hello,

I thought I’d post a reply as it seems we have a few things in common, I’m 55 yrs old and a mad road cyclist and also I’ve just had my catheter removed yesterday after 7 days living with it. I must admit all I could do was make plans for when my next bike ride was going to be (who knows) during those 7 days as the catheter was damn uncomfortable and I couldn’t wait to be rid of it. Anyway the relief of it coming out yesterday was amazing, funny enough it gave me a boost to get out and do a walk which I did yesterday and today and feeling much better for it. 

Steve.

User
Posted 09 Jun 2021 at 15:13

I felt the very same relief when mine came out.

ive started walking the dog a fair bit now (it’s been 6 days since mine came out) and managing it ok, although still a tad leaky every so often.

Ive been told to keep of my bike for 10-12 weeks, which, given my appetite, I could easily bang on quite a few pounds before I’m ok to get back on the saddle

User
Posted 09 Jun 2021 at 15:19

Dogs are great for making you get out there and taking a walk eh. I’m not sure what the recommended time frame is for getting back on the bike is in general, I was initially quoted around the 6 week mark and I’m firmly aiming towards that point with maybe a session or two on the turbo to see if I’m up to it, it would be interesting to hear of others and how long it took them before touching down on a saddle again.

User
Posted 09 Jun 2021 at 15:54
Each man should follow his own surgeon's advice. Steve says he has been told to desist for 10-12 weeks; in our case, the surgeon was very clear that John was to stay off his bike for 6 months to give the nerve bundles the best chance of recovery.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 09 Jun 2021 at 22:21

I’m not sure what the recommended time frame is for getting back on the bike is in general, I was initially quoted around the 6 week mark and I’m firmly aiming towards that point with maybe a session or two on the turbo to see if I’m up to it, it would be interesting to hear of others and how long it took them before touching down on a saddle again.

I obeyed my instructions post-RARP which said 6 weeks before you can walk or horseride.
CyclingSteve has had open surgery though and was told 12 weeks.

On Saturday it will be my 1-year anniversary post-surgery and I'm planning to ride 'a ton' with local mates from the BMCC C-ride (It's Tommy Godwin ride day - the A-ride will do 210 miles, but I've never done more than a ton before).

_____

Two cannibals named Ectomy and Prost, all alone on a Desert island.

Prost was the strongest, so Prost ate Ectomy.

User
Posted 10 Jun 2021 at 09:28

That’s a real achievement being ready to attempt a ton on the bike after 1 year post op, best of luck to you and hope you have a great day out.