Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Cancer number two

User
Posted 31 May 2021 at 22:12

Hello,

I'm also new on this forum and I normally don't talk much about my problems. I survived lung cancer for the last six years. I lost my right lung and due to an infection last year my left lung is not very good so I need to carry extra oxygen. I was ok with that until I had a phone call from my GP who told me that he noticed that my PSA was too high. I had to come straight to the practice where he did the check (not very nice).

The same week I had 3 scans, The good thing is that the bone scan was ok but I'm waiting for the ct scan.

I read everywhere that a PSA over 4 is very high on my blood test it says 26,  how bad is that?

User
Posted 31 May 2021 at 22:38
PSA isn't a reliable indicator of how serious someone's situation might be - it just means that further tests are needed. You could have a PSA of 80 and not have cancer, or a PSA of 4 and bone mets.

If your PSA was in the hundreds or thousands, that would be a pretty certain cancer diagnosis.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 31 May 2021 at 22:45

Patrick,

Sorry you're going through this.

A PSA of 26 means you need to be checked for prostate cancer, but it's not a certainty that you have it - other things can raise PSA too, although prostate cancer is a possibility.

I'm afraid you are in the anxious waiting period, and there isn't a lot we can say until you have biopsy results, or if a scan shows spread elsewhere, which you haven't indicated.

Let us know what results you get back, and feel free to ask any questions too.

User
Posted 31 May 2021 at 22:49
Thanks, Andy62

I will know more 02/06/2021