I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA of 0.014 12 weeks after surgery - good news ???

User
Posted 01 Jun 2021 at 13:30

I think I already know the answer to this but just want to check on here first before I open the champagne. I have just got via email the results from my 12 week post RP PSA blood test. The reading is 0.014. 
A quick search through the forum would suggest that, this figure is very promising but can someone confirm this?
I realise that it could rise over the coming months/years but for the time being the value would suggest that the operation was a success and for the time being I’m in remission???

Thanks

Diagnosed December 2020, Gleason 7 (3+4). Open RP 1/3/21 which went well, with clear surgical margins 

under normal circumstances I would’ve got the results from my surgeon, but I have confused the issue slightly buy asking my  haematology consultant that I see every month for another issue to do the test on his behalf, to save on travelling time and contacts as I’m shielding. My surgeon was okay with this as they use the same lab and he told my haematologist what to write on the blood forms so the test was done to the correct ultra sensitive level - sensitivity of 0.006
I can’t get to speak to either consultant till the end of the week. 

User
Posted 01 Jun 2021 at 21:27

Hi Philip,

I'd be cool with that.

Most only know if it's more than 0.05 or 0.1.

regards Peter

User
Posted 02 Jun 2021 at 15:12
Yes, because at my hospital that PSA figure would be undetectable, as they only test to 0.1.

Stop worrying and get on with the rest of your life!

Cheers, John.
User
Posted 02 Jun 2021 at 16:15

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

work out a strategy to deal with PSA anxiety for the next 20 years! As even if you get < next time you are only ever 1 test away from not having a < !

3 months worrying till the next test , but it’s also 3 more months for the boffins to find better ways of treating it. 
I was diagnosed with leukaemia just over 2 years ago, since then 2 new life saving drugs for it have been approved for use on the NHS and the next new and improved versions are both already in phase 3 trails in he USA. 
No point stressing about something I have no control over. 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 01 Jun 2021 at 21:27

Hi Philip,

I'd be cool with that.

Most only know if it's more than 0.05 or 0.1.

regards Peter

User
Posted 01 Jun 2021 at 22:49
It's ok, not perfect that would have been <0.006.

The next test in 3 months will be a better indicator, if it keeps going down or stays the same but does not go up.

Some will say it's fine, just a the same as a female orgasm etc etc but ideally you would have a < in there whether it's an ultra sensetive test or not..

With a G7 and negative margins they will not consider further treatment until (if) you got to 0.1 so crack open that bottle and work out a strategy to deal with PSA anxiety for the next 20 years! As even if you get < next time you are only ever 1 test away from not having a < !
User
Posted 02 Jun 2021 at 15:12
Yes, because at my hospital that PSA figure would be undetectable, as they only test to 0.1.

Stop worrying and get on with the rest of your life!

Cheers, John.
User
Posted 02 Jun 2021 at 16:15

work out a strategy to deal with PSA anxiety for the next 20 years! As even if you get < next time you are only ever 1 test away from not having a < !

3 months worrying till the next test , but it’s also 3 more months for the boffins to find better ways of treating it. 
I was diagnosed with leukaemia just over 2 years ago, since then 2 new life saving drugs for it have been approved for use on the NHS and the next new and improved versions are both already in phase 3 trails in he USA. 

User
Posted 02 Jun 2021 at 22:52

You have to be careful - psa is only one measure.  My post op psa was also 0.014, but I was gleason 9, positive margins, extra capsular extension and perineural spread.  Wait and see what happens, but no need to panic at all.

User
Posted 03 Jun 2021 at 00:02

This is such an important point. When my dad was diagnosed, they were just trialling nerve sparing surgery - dad was one of the first to have it in the UK. That was 24 years ago and okay, he has had a recurrence but his PSA is rising so slowly he hasn't even considered salvage treatment yet. And when I first joined this forum, abiraterone, enzalutimide and radium 223 were pipe dreams ... members here were on the very first trials for all three drugs. Five / six years ago, chemo was only given in the end stages - Si_ness was the trail blazer for what is now a standard approach for high risk cancer. Progress over the last few years has been mind-blowing. 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard