I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

What is the best test for diagnosis of prostate problems.

User
Posted 01 Jun 2021 at 14:04

Is this prostate specific antigen (PSA) test is enogh to understand the stage of ongoing prostate problem.

https://www.mediyaar.com/prostate-specific-antigen-psa

I have symtoms like Frequent urge to urinate, burning urination , dribbling of urine. 

any suggestions

User
Posted 02 Jun 2021 at 15:08
Your best bet is a referral to a urology consultant...

Best of luck.

Cheers,John.

User
Posted 02 Jun 2021 at 15:09
Urinary Track Infections (UTI's) are quite common in men and be very difficult to eradicate for some which may involve a course of even more than one antibiotic. Furthermore, some men are more prone to them so they can recur. Also, a simple urine dip test does not always show this up. It so happens that I was due to have a biopsy of my Prostate last month and the hospital in London cancelled it at the last moment because my local surgery had mistakenly only done a dip test rather than a culture one that was required. So this shows how important it is to get a test that will identify any potential infection. The test you have linked to seems to me to be looking at a number of things beyond what might be needed to establish whether you have a UTI. I don't know how the medcal system works in India but in the UK a GP or Hospital can send away a sample of your urine to a laboratory for testing looking for what could be the cause of a UTI. This can take a few days to develop a culture and evaluate it. Your Doctor should know about this and the way to go about it in India. All you have to do is provide a sample of your urine in a sample sealed tube.

Barry
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 02 Jun 2021 at 01:23

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Is this prostate specific antigen (PSA) test is enogh to understand the stage of ongoing prostate problem.

https://www.mediyaar.com/prostate-specific-antigen-psa

I have symtoms like Frequent urge to urinate, burning urination , dribbling of urine. 

any suggestions

No!   Consider it as a preliminary test which if above the normal range for the age of a man suggests PCa and a number of other things might be responsible and require further investigation.  However, as the PSA level increases considerably, so does does the chance of PCa being responsible so that when 100+ is reached the chance of it being PCa is almost certain.  But by the time such a reading is reached the chances are that the PCa is advanced.  Conversely, there are a smaller number of men who exhibit a PSA reading within normal range but are still found to have PCa,  So the PSA test, particularly as a tool for diagnosing PCa, is not a very good one but in some cases supports further tests.  Even good scans do not always reveal the presence of PCa.  For the majority of men it is a biopsy that enables a consultant to confirm the presence of cancer cells  and even here the common TRUS biopsy can miss tumours.  A template biopsy is more likely to find any cancer.

So in most cases it's really a matter of considering all these tests along with any symptoms a man may have (although men do not always show problems or if they do it could be due to something else.

I don't know whether you have had a urine dip test or better still a urine culture test done as a Urinary Infection  could be responsible for your problem and I would suggest you get this possibility ruled out first.  

Edited by member 02 Jun 2021 at 01:38  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 02 Jun 2021 at 07:53

Hi barry thanks for detailed reply , Appreciate your help

by urine culture test , did you mean the below complete urine analysis test

https://www.mediyaar.com/complete-urine-analysis

will this test  serve the purpose to identification if it is of prostate problem or something else

thanks  sam

User
Posted 02 Jun 2021 at 15:08
Your best bet is a referral to a urology consultant...

Best of luck.

Cheers,John.

User
Posted 02 Jun 2021 at 15:09
Urinary Track Infections (UTI's) are quite common in men and be very difficult to eradicate for some which may involve a course of even more than one antibiotic. Furthermore, some men are more prone to them so they can recur. Also, a simple urine dip test does not always show this up. It so happens that I was due to have a biopsy of my Prostate last month and the hospital in London cancelled it at the last moment because my local surgery had mistakenly only done a dip test rather than a culture one that was required. So this shows how important it is to get a test that will identify any potential infection. The test you have linked to seems to me to be looking at a number of things beyond what might be needed to establish whether you have a UTI. I don't know how the medcal system works in India but in the UK a GP or Hospital can send away a sample of your urine to a laboratory for testing looking for what could be the cause of a UTI. This can take a few days to develop a culture and evaluate it. Your Doctor should know about this and the way to go about it in India. All you have to do is provide a sample of your urine in a sample sealed tube.

Barry