I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Prostap 3 frequency

User
Posted 02 Jun 2021 at 16:21

My third Prostap 3 injection is due on 1st July and, as previously, it’s a nightmare to get an appointment at my GP surgery for the nurse to give me it. One issue that would help is to know what leeway one has in terms of timelines. I vaguely remember being told that it has to be exactly on the date given I.e. 1st July so 29th June, which I’ve been offered, is a no go. Seems a bit pedantic to me but I’m interested to hear if anyone has specific information. A couple of days either side would make getting an appointment much easier! Thanks

User
Posted 02 Jun 2021 at 20:40
There seems to be a misunderstanding here - Prostap is a monthly / 3 monthly injection so 2 or 3 days either side is fine.

Zoladex is a 28 day / 84 day injection and there should be no variance unless completely unavoidable.

So you will be fine with the 29th June

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 02 Jun 2021 at 21:06

Decapeptyl is given every 4 weeks (very little leeway) or every 3 or 6 months (a couple of days early or late should be fine).

The 4 weekers receive 39mg per year (13 × 3mg) whereas the 3 and 6 monthers get 45mg per year (4 × 11.25mg or 2 x 22.5mg) - enough to keep topped up for a few days over a Bank Holiday if necessary! 

Edited by member 02 Jun 2021 at 21:10  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 02 Jun 2021 at 20:40
There seems to be a misunderstanding here - Prostap is a monthly / 3 monthly injection so 2 or 3 days either side is fine.

Zoladex is a 28 day / 84 day injection and there should be no variance unless completely unavoidable.

So you will be fine with the 29th June

User
Posted 02 Jun 2021 at 20:53
I’m a relatively nube with HT and am receiving Decapeptyl injections. The first 3 were monthly ones , but the last one was a 3 monthly one. I too was having a nightmare fixing up appointments for blood tests and injections , but was told ‘ a few days each way won’t make a difference’. I haven’t looked into this because frankly I don’t want to be on it anyway , but I guess it shouldn’t matter that much ??? When some men come off HT it can take forever for Testosterone levels to rise again , so surely a few days is fine. Correct me please Lyn
User
Posted 02 Jun 2021 at 21:06

Decapeptyl is given every 4 weeks (very little leeway) or every 3 or 6 months (a couple of days early or late should be fine).

The 4 weekers receive 39mg per year (13 × 3mg) whereas the 3 and 6 monthers get 45mg per year (4 × 11.25mg or 2 x 22.5mg) - enough to keep topped up for a few days over a Bank Holiday if necessary! 

Edited by member 02 Jun 2021 at 21:10  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 02 Jun 2021 at 21:36
Thanks Lyn, that makes so much sense. I’m just going to use that leeway to make it easier to get an appointment.
User
Posted 03 Jun 2021 at 02:02

I was on Zoladex, on the side of the packet it says every 84 days. Well strictly speaking that's how it was tested and that's how it got its licence, so that is what should be done.

However in my opinion, I find it hard to believe that the little pellet can be predicted to dissolve that precisely. So I am inclined to believe there is some leeway.

I think the next question is if you can't get the exact date should you try for a few days earlier or a few days later? When I came off zoladex it took well over six months for testosterone to recover, but I guess there would be a tiny chance that the reintroduction of Zoladex if it had been allowed to get to zero, might cause a testosterone flair.

If you have the dose a few days early then you may have a slight overdose of the drug, but as I understand it, the drug just blocks some receptors and once they are all blocked the surplus drug is just processed by the kidneys. So I don't think a surplus of the drug would do any harm at least not for a few days. 

So with the above considerations, whenever I could not get the exact date I always asked for a sooner appointment rather than a later one. 

Dave