No you aren't always incontinent. It's usual to be continent within 6 months. There are unusual cases and it might not be straight forward getting to continence. Erectile Dysfunction of some kind is likely.
I shared your fear of it spreading. I was told it was near the edge of the prostate and my Gleason was 7 initially, 4+3 which is worse than 3+4, both being Gleason 7. After the op it was said to be 4+4, upgrading isn't uncommon. Gleason 8 is worse than 7.
I was offered Active Surveillance if I had a template biopsy.
The op was the easiest thing I ever did as I was asleep all the time. There was a couple of months recovery but nothing that concerned me. You can read the full story on my profile and website.
I would think a psa of 15 would suggest getting on with it, but you say a larger prostate covers some of that.
You might ask where the lesions are and if they're large or near the edge. T2a suggests they're on one side.
How is your Gleason made up, 3+4 or 4+3. Your consultant has made a judgement, you might think if you have AS it might be 3-6 months before you have an op. If you give the go ahead now it might be a month.
Sometimes putting off the inevitable seems a waste of time, although some on here want to keep their existing Quality of Life. Some worry about their sex lives and others aren't concerned or much prefer preservation.
Without knowing the full details of your situation it's hard to say although I suspect my preference would be to get on with it after thinking dare I wait, dare I look for other treatments. Changing my mind every day but not changing that I told the doctor to do the op. It's not an easy decision.
All the best, Peter
Edited by member 02 Jun 2021 at 21:31
| Reason: Not specified