I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Hi new member of the PC gang

User
Posted 03 Jun 2021 at 14:08

Hi just joined today and hoping for a bit of info and support as I begin this journey.

A bit of background first

Was diagnosed with rectal cancer in 2017 (stage 3d)and have been through various treatments surgeries/chemo/radio.As of 2021 I,m still clear but still on the 5 year surveillance pathway.

However today I,ve just been diagnosed with PC with spread to my right leg.Have had a bone scan and mMri scan with further tests acoming.Have been started on hormone therapy immediately.

Was only discovered after i went to the GP to be treated  for a water infection a few weeks ago and blood tests came back later with a Psa reading of 107 !

So there you go...a double whammy of cancers(although it is still to be totally confirmed that the PC is not mets from the rectal cancer)

They reckon every 1  in 2 person will get cancer during their lifetime ..I reckon i,m getting someone's share here! plus if I was religious and believed in that sort of thing ,that i must have been a bad soul in a previous life.

User
Posted 03 Jun 2021 at 15:47
With a PSA of 107 it seems highly unlikely that the cancer spotted in your prostate is mets from the rectal cancer - I am surprised that they have not explained that to you. There is a slim chance that the bone met is rectal but once the hormone therapy kicks in they will be able to see if the bone met is responding, which would confirm it is indeed PCa mets.

Treatment options will be more limited if the PCa has gone to bone. Hormone treatment, possibly with early chemo if you tolerated that well for the rectal cancer - although it will probably be a completely different type of chemo. Radiotherapy to the prostate may not be possible because of the previous RT to the same area. They might advise to try the hormones for a while and if the bone met seems unlikely to be prostate cancer, surgical removal of the prostate .... but again, the previous surgery may rule this out.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 03 Jun 2021 at 17:32
Hi Lyn,

The consultant did seem to think it is unlikely to be from the bowel cancer(hence the comment about not totally confirming) and did explain that is quite rare for it to do this.But he didn't discount it. I have barely no rectum left, suffer from Lars and use a water faucet to clean etc so my poor little prostate has probably taken a pummelling the last few years.But like you said highly unlikely due to my Psa being so high.My Cea readings,cancer markers for BC,have been normal for years but I will be having a further CT scan plus ultrasounds to confirm this.

Consultant was spot on today showing me both the bone scan and the mMri scans.Prostate was definitely not looking good with both halves lit up with plenty of white spots;the dark shadow on my right leg from the bone scan was apparently 'backed up' by the Mri scan but I couldn't really understand the scans tbh.Don,t really think the consultant really understood the scans himself but stated that the info came from the people who did.

regards Russell

User
Posted 03 Jun 2021 at 19:48

Hi,  There are a few people on here who've had more than one cancer.   One member had them both together and the treatment was given to the prostate secondly.  Chris I think. 

I've always thought you should go for as much treatment as you can get although some people think maintaining their quality of life is more important and delay treatment as long as possible.  It isn't certain what they'll offer you having had the previous treatment.

I suppose there is chance the whole thing is mets from the rectal cancer as your prostate can give off a lot of psa if it gets agitated.   People without cancer can get high psa.   You haven't had a biopsy as yet.   As Lyn says the shrinking of the mets will denote if it's prostate related.   You may hope none of the lesions shrink.  Is there a date for a biopsy?  Or have I missed something.

Some religions might think you had a bad previous life but in Christianity, Galahad, it's as you sow you shall reap.  What have you been up to?    I hope it works out, all the best, Peter

Edited by member 03 Jun 2021 at 19:51  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 Jun 2021 at 20:25
Hi Peter,I,m only 58 with 2 adult children(31 and 28) and a young one (11)..all daughters..I have no intention of going anywhere anytime soon so any treatment coming my way will be met full on.

Just breaks my heart more than anything with what i,m having to put my family through again.

BTW thought your 'reap what your sow ' remark was more than just a bit tactless. Not sure if you took offence at my tongue in cheek 'ironic' comments about religion and the chances of getting 2 different cancers but as a humanist I don't think it showed you up in a good light.

However I do thank you for wishing me well in my future endeavours!

User
Posted 04 Jun 2021 at 20:46

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Hi,  There are a few people on here who've had more than one cancer.   One member had them both together and the treatment was given to the prostate secondly.  Chris I think.

Yes, indeed me. A kidney tumour found during the MRI scan for prostate cancer. It probably saved my life, because I had no symptoms whatsoever. I had a nephrectomy operation to remove my kidney (hopefully the end of that cancer) and radiotherapy for the prostate cancer.

Chris