Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Changes to Template Biopsy

User
Posted 09 Jun 2021 at 16:15

Hi Folks,

Had my Template Biopsy yesterday and thought I would mention some of the things that were different to what I experienced a few years back. 

Firstly, I was expecting to have a general anaesthetic, just have a prick in the back of the hand and then wake up with all done.  In the event this did not happen.  I was taken to the room where the biopsy is done and asked to do something like a back flip with my legs being caught in the middle of the manoeuvre and helped into the elevated attachment by the chairlike bed I found myself laying back on (a bit like a turkey).  I was being drip fed 'Deep Sedation' via a cannula in my hand and whist this was taking effect  continued talking with the anaesthetist.   It transpires that they no longer give a General Anesthetic for this procedure at UCLU although some hospitals still do so.  I was awake and felt no pain but could just discern a slight sound and vibration as each needle grabbed it's core.  I was then monitored with the usual body checks and given some food and drink and discharged after I had provided the required amount of urine which was measured.  There was none of the sickness one can have after a GA and I think this is a good improvement  in the way it's administered.  Although they insist on somebody accompanying you home and not driving for 24 hours,  I felt I could have done this in need.  As it was, I was driven home the 200+ miles and then prepared a meal for myself.  After a good nights' sleep I feel fine this morning - just reminded I have a slightly sore bum in some positions. 

The second difference  was that previously I was given a course of antibiotics to self administer over a few days.  When I asked about this I was told this was no longer necessary as a once only shot had been part of the sedation previously mentioned.

One last thing,  this time I was given a bottle of Lactulose to take over 5 days to help prevent constipation  but no pain killers, there is not the need!

I was told to contact my GP or local hospital if I felt I might get an infection.  Apparently, there is only about a one per cent chance of it happening with this procedure which is several times less than with a TRUS biopsy.

Barry
User
Posted 09 Jun 2021 at 18:01

Thanks for the update. Not requiring a general anaesthetic should make this better form of biopsy much more available. 

Dave

User
Posted 09 Jun 2021 at 21:43

Interesting as it stacks up with the discussion the other day when it was wondered if someone actually did have a template biopsy.

User
Posted 09 Jun 2021 at 22:26
Good news Barry and best wishes. And good to hear your anaesthesia was via cannula and not via a spinal injection which is more risky. The one-off shot of antibiotics is a really big hit and shouldn’t be overlooked. It can cause you to feel rough for a week afterwards. Take care
User
Posted 10 Jun 2021 at 01:06

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Interesting as it stacks up with the discussion the other day when it was wondered if someone actually did have a template biopsy.

Yes it was one of the reasons why I posted this.  We are inclined to go by our experiences and indeed we are sometimes asked for these.  However, like so much else, medical techniques and various treatment  improvements are ongoing, so perhaps it is understandable when somebody reports  something new we seek clarification.  This serves as a reminder to me that things change! 

Barry