I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

re CT scan

User
Posted 16 Jun 2021 at 12:29

Hi all , Have had MRI scan on prostate, result shows  a lump in prostate, they suspect is cancer, but  they say is not showing outside. They dont think I will need a biopsy, but are arranging for me to have a CT scan, to see if cancer is shewn elsewhere, is this normal. Wife and I are so worried, this site is a great help. I am 81 yrs old

Edited by member 16 Jun 2021 at 13:23  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 16 Jun 2021 at 13:39

I am a recent entry to this club and have recently, at age 63, been diagnosed with a slow growing cancer on my prostate. The MRI scan showed that I had a slightly large prostate (55 ml) and that it had a lesion of 1.5 cm. The biopsy showed that my cancer was either in category 1 or 2 (see my earlier messages re what this actually means).

At your age (81), if my consultant is to be believed and there is no reason for me to discount what he told me, all men of your age have a form of prostate cancer. Most prostate cancers are slow growing and somebody with it, certainly at your age, is likely to die of something else e.g. old age. It seems fairly common for a CT scan to be undertaken to see if the cancer has spread to the bones etc and I assume that a biopsy has been ruled out (to determine the category type of the cancer) because of your age. It might be worthwhile asking your hospital why a biopsy has been ruled out just so you know. A high PSA at your age is almost to be expected,  so I would not be too concerned that this is higher than  the usual level (4)  that is used for much younger guys when scans/biopsies are undertaken.

Keep us informed of developments

Edited by member 16 Jun 2021 at 14:20  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 16 Jun 2021 at 17:52

Hi Gra1

You are at an awkward age. You're life expectancy is probably just under ten years, and that is around the cut off point for aggressive treatment of PCa. The treatment for PCa is worse than the disease, so the medics have a choice, treat you now and make the next two years or so of your life a bit miserable, and then you get to live to about 90 and die of some other horrible disease, or let you carry on enjoying your life in reasonable health and accept that PCa may get you at about 87, it won't be a pleasant end but it will be reasonably quick and at least you can carry on having fun for a few years.

Your cancer is not too aggressive and probably not spread. Once you start having biopsies you are on the treadmill of endless tests and treatments. A CT scan to see how things are going and give a baseline for seeing how fast it is spreading, with a view of hopefully doing nothing and maybe starting you on HT in a few years time if things start advancing sounds a good idea, to me. Does it sound a good idea to you?

Take up some dangerous sports, that's best way of avoiding death by cancer.

Dave

User
Posted 16 Jun 2021 at 14:17
thanks for your quick response, and reassurance. It certainly helps,
User
Posted 16 Jun 2021 at 15:08
80% of men in their 80’s have some prostate cancer. Most men die with it rather than of it.

Why did you have the MRI scan in the first instance?

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 18 Jun 2021 at 01:06
I don't see why at 81 you would be too old to have a biopsy in due course following scans, provided there are no medical contraindication for this. (I have just had a template biopsy at 84 as a precursor to a possible 2nd HIFU procedure).

As well as determining the type of cancer, as was mentioned above, the purpose of a biopsy is to sample suspicious areas and grade and plot any found to be cancerous. Some men, even those quite elderly, prefer to have a treatment that may mean they can postpone or avoid completely having HT or other systemic treatment,

Barry
User
Posted 14 Jul 2021 at 17:40

Gra 

Could be a CT scan with contrast, you may be injected with a dye or drink something. All my CT scans have involved an injection that gives you a warm feeling as it goes in.

Thanks Chris

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 16 Jun 2021 at 13:39

I am a recent entry to this club and have recently, at age 63, been diagnosed with a slow growing cancer on my prostate. The MRI scan showed that I had a slightly large prostate (55 ml) and that it had a lesion of 1.5 cm. The biopsy showed that my cancer was either in category 1 or 2 (see my earlier messages re what this actually means).

At your age (81), if my consultant is to be believed and there is no reason for me to discount what he told me, all men of your age have a form of prostate cancer. Most prostate cancers are slow growing and somebody with it, certainly at your age, is likely to die of something else e.g. old age. It seems fairly common for a CT scan to be undertaken to see if the cancer has spread to the bones etc and I assume that a biopsy has been ruled out (to determine the category type of the cancer) because of your age. It might be worthwhile asking your hospital why a biopsy has been ruled out just so you know. A high PSA at your age is almost to be expected,  so I would not be too concerned that this is higher than  the usual level (4)  that is used for much younger guys when scans/biopsies are undertaken.

Keep us informed of developments

Edited by member 16 Jun 2021 at 14:20  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 16 Jun 2021 at 14:17
thanks for your quick response, and reassurance. It certainly helps,
User
Posted 16 Jun 2021 at 15:08
80% of men in their 80’s have some prostate cancer. Most men die with it rather than of it.

Why did you have the MRI scan in the first instance?

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 16 Jun 2021 at 17:26

reason for scan is high psa and brownish semen. 

graham 

User
Posted 16 Jun 2021 at 17:52

Hi Gra1

You are at an awkward age. You're life expectancy is probably just under ten years, and that is around the cut off point for aggressive treatment of PCa. The treatment for PCa is worse than the disease, so the medics have a choice, treat you now and make the next two years or so of your life a bit miserable, and then you get to live to about 90 and die of some other horrible disease, or let you carry on enjoying your life in reasonable health and accept that PCa may get you at about 87, it won't be a pleasant end but it will be reasonably quick and at least you can carry on having fun for a few years.

Your cancer is not too aggressive and probably not spread. Once you start having biopsies you are on the treadmill of endless tests and treatments. A CT scan to see how things are going and give a baseline for seeing how fast it is spreading, with a view of hopefully doing nothing and maybe starting you on HT in a few years time if things start advancing sounds a good idea, to me. Does it sound a good idea to you?

Take up some dangerous sports, that's best way of avoiding death by cancer.

Dave

User
Posted 16 Jun 2021 at 18:08

Thanks for info Dave, yes I am inclined to agree with you, Will make decision after CT scan. 

Graham 

User
Posted 18 Jun 2021 at 01:06
I don't see why at 81 you would be too old to have a biopsy in due course following scans, provided there are no medical contraindication for this. (I have just had a template biopsy at 84 as a precursor to a possible 2nd HIFU procedure).

As well as determining the type of cancer, as was mentioned above, the purpose of a biopsy is to sample suspicious areas and grade and plot any found to be cancerous. Some men, even those quite elderly, prefer to have a treatment that may mean they can postpone or avoid completely having HT or other systemic treatment,

Barry
User
Posted 18 Jun 2021 at 09:23
Thanks for info Barry, I guess it all depends on CT scan. Its the waiting that one gets anxious about, but have to admit the NHS are doing a grand job.

Graham

User
Posted 14 Jul 2021 at 16:59

Had CT scan, they suspect  a problem in the pelvic area, so have to have a different type of scan, have to take something before scan , process takes about 2 hrs, . All this was done  by a phone call, cant recall name of scan, due to state of mind. Should have scan in a couple of weeks. I do have an ache in the pelvic area, thought this is a case of old age. Hope

this all makes sense, would just  like to know the name of the scanner.

Graham

User
Posted 14 Jul 2021 at 17:18

You have had MRI, you have had CT. 

I can think of two other scans.

Nuclear bone scan, this involves going to the hospital, being injected with a radioisotope and then waiting about 2 hours for the isotope to get to the bones feel free to go for a walk in those two hours but don't hug any pregnant women. Scan then takes about 20 minutes.

Other than that all I can think of is Choline or PSMA PET scans, which I believe take about 2 hrs in total. Does any of this sound familiar? 

Dave

User
Posted 14 Jul 2021 at 17:40

Gra 

Could be a CT scan with contrast, you may be injected with a dye or drink something. All my CT scans have involved an injection that gives you a warm feeling as it goes in.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 14 Jul 2021 at 17:43

thanks for that Dave, I think its the first one.  

Graham

On reflection , and looking on line I think its the Choline one .

Edited by member 14 Jul 2021 at 18:18  | Reason: new info

User
Posted 14 Jul 2021 at 18:16

Thanks for info 

Graham