I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Focal Cryotherapy Atlanta Trial

User
Posted 16 Jun 2021 at 20:46

Just wondered if anyone had experience of focal cryotherapy or HIFU for advanced Pca? My partner has been offered this as part of the Atlanta trial but is worried about the risks (incontinence and damage to rectum) and also the recovery time (6-8 weeks), as he is freelance and desperate to keep working. Has anyone experienced this treatment yet? They are going to remove the 2 lymph nodes above his pelvis too, though it has spread to lymph nodes above chest. I think the idea is that by attacking the 'mothership', it stops the cancer spreading so rapidly throughout the body. He is currently on hormone injections and enzalutamide and his PSA has dropped from 177 in December 2020 to 0.26, so doing well. I just want to be able to reassure him that it's worth it, but can't find much info about it, as it's usually a procedure done on men with localised Pca. I'm also thinking that because he's 57 and relatively fit, he should recover more quickly. If anyone has any thoughts or info on this, I'd be v. grateful.

User
Posted 18 Jun 2021 at 00:39
You are correct that cryotherapy and HIFU are usually administered to men with less advanced and certainly the latter at least for failed RT. In fact when I had HIFU within a study for failed RT the surgeon who did the procedure said it was not done for more advanced Pca. Therefore,I am not surprised there is little on this. Certainly, side effects with focal therapy seem mostly to be quite mild but whether this remains the same and as effective with more advanced cancer will be some of the questions the Atlanta trial should answer. Of course, when the boundaries are widened for a treatment, it is going to take quite some time for results and experiences to be analysed and conclusions reached in the short to long term. A man taking part in trial such as this has to accept he is participating in breaking new ground which may or may not work for him.
Barry
User
Posted 18 Jun 2021 at 11:02
I was keen on participating in the ATLANTA trial but my oncologist preferred Zolodox (just had second 3-monthly implant), Enzalutamide (at end of 2 nd month) and the RT in October / November. I had an initial 4 weeks of Bicalutamide. Despite my oncologists advice, if I had been certain of HCFU I would have gone with Atlanta. As it is my PSA went from 64 to 0.33 in the first month of Enza and I have had limited side effects (at 67 and divorced I am not that bothered about decreased libido).
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 18 Jun 2021 at 00:39
You are correct that cryotherapy and HIFU are usually administered to men with less advanced and certainly the latter at least for failed RT. In fact when I had HIFU within a study for failed RT the surgeon who did the procedure said it was not done for more advanced Pca. Therefore,I am not surprised there is little on this. Certainly, side effects with focal therapy seem mostly to be quite mild but whether this remains the same and as effective with more advanced cancer will be some of the questions the Atlanta trial should answer. Of course, when the boundaries are widened for a treatment, it is going to take quite some time for results and experiences to be analysed and conclusions reached in the short to long term. A man taking part in trial such as this has to accept he is participating in breaking new ground which may or may not work for him.
Barry
User
Posted 18 Jun 2021 at 11:02
I was keen on participating in the ATLANTA trial but my oncologist preferred Zolodox (just had second 3-monthly implant), Enzalutamide (at end of 2 nd month) and the RT in October / November. I had an initial 4 weeks of Bicalutamide. Despite my oncologists advice, if I had been certain of HCFU I would have gone with Atlanta. As it is my PSA went from 64 to 0.33 in the first month of Enza and I have had limited side effects (at 67 and divorced I am not that bothered about decreased libido).