Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

GP changed Zoladex to Prostap

User
Posted 20 Jun 2021 at 11:59

Hi,

Hope this gets posted as my first try disappeared somewhere!

Age 72; T3a; psa14; Gleason 3+4 ( 5/52, max involvement 100% )

I am 18 months through my 3 year Hormone Therapy after Radiotherapy. I was on Zoladex and whilst side effects were there, particularly weakness in legs and hot flushes at night - I felt not to bad. PSA <0.1.

GP changed to Prostap for ease of  admin in surgery ( I did speak to Hospital nurse and they advised they are ok with Z or P ) and I have now had 2. The side effects seem much worse with legs feeling very weak and some sort of brain fog! I have not had the 6 monthly PSA test since changing - due August.

I wondered if anyone else made the switch - their reaction, and if anyone did move back to Z did that cause further problems! 

I feel like I will probably move back to Z unless I hear anything to put me off.

Finally, I have seen some comments on here that research has shown that 18 months of HT has similar outcomes to36?

Thanks ,

Chris

User
Posted 21 Jun 2021 at 00:15
Although they are very similar in terms of side effects, some men do find that they tolerate one far better than another. It seems perfectly reasonable to ask your GP to switch you back to Zoladex- after all, hus or her decision was pragmatic rather than clinical and as it turns out you, not in your best interests.

Yes, research indicates that 3 years offers no additional benefit over 18 months so many oncos have dropped the longer period. But, as with everything else, your onco may have reasons - worth discussing it.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 24 Jun 2021 at 14:07
Many thanks LynEyre.

I have since spoken to a Nurse who confirmed your comments re tolerance.

She did not seem to have real life examples of the 36 month to 18 month HT research, suggesting it was dependent on the individual’s case.

It would be interesting to hear if anyone has had their expected HT treatment reduced to 18 months; or experience of switching between Zoladex and Prostap.

Thanks again.