I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

My dad has advanced cancer

User
Posted 25 Jun 2021 at 06:37

He's going onto chemo which will knock out his immune system.  He's had a terminal diagnosis but is being cagey about how long he has.  Now he won't see me due to the infection risk and it's going to be for months. 

I'm beside myself.  I don't know what to do.  

User
Posted 25 Jun 2021 at 16:42

Hi,

Being cagey isn't a bad thing.  People react quite differently and some are able to have a lot of treatment. Perhaps if he won't see you he is expecting it to have an effect that will last beyond the treatment.   If he was seeing you and taking a risk it could mean he doesn't expect to last.  That is a bit positive.

Does he have home helps or nurses.  You might ask what precautions they are taking that lets them go in but not you.  

It's not easy to offer much advice with very little information as there are a lot of reasons things may be as they are.  Perhaps you will slowly reconcile more with the situation or perhaps think of something.   You could ask a charity for advice such as the Prostate Cancer UK nurses or Macmillan.

Best Regards
Peter

User
Posted 26 Jun 2021 at 21:54
The prostate cancer spevialist nurses are excellent and very helpful and knowledgeable. Having just found out my locally advanced cancer has relapsed I rang them 3 times this last week. I think there are 12 or 13 of them, so you'll probable speak to a different nurse if you ring a second time. The number is 0800 074 8383