I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

HT Reaction?

User
Posted 27 Jun 2021 at 09:19

Morning all, I have been on 3 monthly Decapeptyl jabs for 2 years since diagnosis. It's usually very straightforward with no side effects apart from the odd hot flush or muscle cramp over the next few months. For the first time after having one, I seemed to have a reaction of some description. Roughly 10 to 12 hours afterwards, I started getting aches and pains spreading through my torso,, from upper back, ribs, lower back, abdomen, hips,  pretty much covering everywhere. Lasted several days and still have low level ache pelvic area and back.
My blood work was pretty much as usual nowadays, PSA 1.53 and Testosterone 0.35. I'm obviously going to mention it to the consultant on my 3 monthly appointment this week.

I'm obviously a bit loathe to attribute it to the hormone therapy, when it could after all be a coincidence. It does seem strange though, that it pretty much coincides with where the mets were/are (spine/ribs/pelvis).

Just wondering if anyone else on Triptorelin type HT has had similar effects?

Stay Safe folks

Steve

Good luck to everyone coping with the insidious big C

User
Posted 27 Jun 2021 at 14:17

First thing I did L-T-S πŸ˜€πŸ˜€ Back pain and Muscle/Joint pain are certainly up there as common. It just feels strange that I had nothing like that at all for the first 9 jabs but get zapped on the 10th jab? Might have to push the Onco team for a scan, just to check the beast isn't stirring. I know my PSA is steady but it happens occasionally.

Steve

User
Posted 27 Jun 2021 at 16:36

Chris, standard procedure down here seems to be a scan when PSA rises 2 above low point and not 6 monthly 😐

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 27 Jun 2021 at 13:53
Hi Steve

Have you checked online to see how your reactions compare with those officially listed as side-effects of the medication?

User
Posted 27 Jun 2021 at 14:17

First thing I did L-T-S πŸ˜€πŸ˜€ Back pain and Muscle/Joint pain are certainly up there as common. It just feels strange that I had nothing like that at all for the first 9 jabs but get zapped on the 10th jab? Might have to push the Onco team for a scan, just to check the beast isn't stirring. I know my PSA is steady but it happens occasionally.

Steve

User
Posted 27 Jun 2021 at 16:04
I’m just completing 6 months on Decapeptyl and have all the pains you describe but to be fair it’s just a worsening of existing pains , but I’m still just getting on with it. I have multiple mets so yes it’s scary when a new ache comes along. But in your case I’d ask if things not normal. They should be scanning you6 monthly anyway !!
User
Posted 27 Jun 2021 at 16:36

Chris, standard procedure down here seems to be a scan when PSA rises 2 above low point and not 6 monthly 😐

User
Posted 27 Jun 2021 at 22:22
Was the injection given in the same place as usual and by the same person?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 27 Jun 2021 at 23:18

Hi Lyn, alternating buttock each 3 months, upper outside quadrant. Yes it was a different nurse as the usual 2 are both tied up with the C19 vacc centre. Jab was prepped while I was there, swirled not shaken (Mr Bond!). It did bleed a bit more than usual though, as did my blood test the following week.

User
Posted 27 Jun 2021 at 23:52
Make sure that you discuss it with the consultant and explain clearly how painful it was and how long it lingered - a rare side effect of decapeptyl is osteoarthritis. Also, are you being monitored for osteoporosis?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 28 Jun 2021 at 07:57
With the struggles I’ve been having to try and get appointments, we will be doing this ourselves in July. Just awful at the moment
User
Posted 28 Jun 2021 at 08:05

Hi Lyn, good question. Would the monitoring for osteoporosis be the Bone Profile section of the blood test? If so, then yes, if not then no, so I had best raise that as well tomorrow!

Steve