I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

All at sea!

User
Posted 06 Jul 2021 at 21:43

Hi, I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in May. My Gleason score was 4.3 my PSA was 3.9. I started hormone tablets in June and am due my second implant next week. I was originally told it had crept into my bladder. This was later revised and I was told it hadn't but was very close and I've been advised by my surgeon to have the operation to remove my prostate. I was advised that he would like this to happen as quickly as possible. I haven't been able to talk to anyone else as the oncologist originally asked for a face to face meeting but the revised diagnosis came before that happened. I am going to ask for another appointment with either oncologist or urologist but am unsure what questions to ask as I am feeling completely confused by it all! 

User
Posted 07 Jul 2021 at 01:48

Hi sorry you are here. I don't think you need to rush into this decision, which could change your life, until you have had time to think about it, and gather more information.

The psa and the gleason are not very high. The fact it is near your bladder is worrying.

It is good news that you are on hormones that will give you time to think. You would not normally be put on hormones but I presume you were put on them because covid is delaying cancer treatments and at least hormones puts the brakes on prostate cancer. Also by starting you on hormones they can say they have started you on treatment, tick a little box, and claim they have met their targets this year and collect their bonus this Christmas.

So why is the surgeon in such a rush? Because up until this year no one eligible for surgery would have been put on hormones and he hasn't adjusted his thinking. Even though this cancer is dangerously close to the bladder it is currently almost certainly dormant under the influence of hormone treatment. So because of the hormones the situation is perhaps not quite so urgent as he is used to.

I think you really need to find out if you will be continent after surgery? With it being so close to the bladder are they going to have to cut dangerously close to the urinary sphincter?

An oncologist may be able to tell you if radiotherapy would be safer. Radiotherapy and surgery are roughly equally effective at curing cancer, so you need to get opinions from both of them and find out how likely and how severe side effects may be.

I'm not an expert, and hopefully some other members with different opinions to me will post soon and at least you will have a range of views and opinions to think about. 

Dave

User
Posted 08 Jul 2021 at 10:37
Try and see both, if you can afford the 200 quid get a private second opinion too.
User
Posted 08 Jul 2021 at 16:22
Definitely - try to see both before making a decision.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard