I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Hormone Therapy PSA

User
Posted 09 Jul 2021 at 08:52

I qualify this post: many people on here don't always have good news but I wanted to share something I felt was  good news. Yesterday I had my first PSA  test result since starting Hormone Treatment 13 weeks ago. I was understandably nervous as I picked up the phone and dialled my GP. My last PSA  of 10.45 more than six months ago which triggered my treatment journey after more than three years of active surveillance, was 10.45. When she announced the result I was relieved and rather shell-shocked - significantly reduced and no immediate action required. And then she told me...4.1. Relief - I havent had that kind of reading for years.

I see my consultant in 2 weeks and wait to hear about radiotherapy.

I have been quite fortunate in my treatment in that I haven't experienced the less pleasant side effects like hot flushes and sweats or significant breast enlargement. My energy levels have declined a wee bit. However, I always feel rather sluggish on first awakening, which improves after I get going and have breakfast. I am also suffering from itchy skin and red patches on my legs which come and go. I don't know whether this might be stres-related, Covid and cancer not the best for 'mental equilibrium.

Anyway good luck to everybody who has this cancer and my thoughts and prayers are with those who are having a much more  difficult time than me. God bless.  If I get to my end station eventually, cure, I will always have a bond with those I meet who have experienced Prostate Cancer.

User
Posted 10 Jul 2021 at 17:00

Thanks for posting. I see you have been on AS since 2017.

Best wishes for RT and the end of hormone therapy in due course.

Ido4

User
Posted 12 Jul 2021 at 09:16
Thank you for your kind reply. Best wishes for you. Enjoy the seaside.
User
Posted 12 Jul 2021 at 19:14
I am happy too, diagnosed in early February with PSA at 64; after 1 month of Enza (6 weeks of Zolodox) PSA down to about 0.6 and after 2 months about 0.3. Another blood test today in preparation for new monthly prescription of enza on Tgursday, witn RT expected in October / November following meeting with onco early September. No major side effects apart from some tiredness and limited hot flushes (I am divorced and 67 so not overly concerned about ED).

Good luck in the coming months.

User
Posted 13 Jul 2021 at 18:09
You must be really delighted with your PSA results.

Good luck with the RT!

User
Posted 18 Jul 2021 at 19:26

Good Day everyone! May I ask some questions?  Let me start by saying I am a wife who has you who has great concerns that my husband has prostate cancer..  For several months he's had serious back and leg issues, just recently started steroid injections. No change from the injection.. they did check his PSA which was an 8.  Approximately 7 month ago I started seeing his personality change.. as of recently,, (2 month) hes an emotional disaster. He is having anxiety attacks. And this man in 30 years, has never been an emotion man. Quite the opposite. As of  early as yesterday I noticed this odd horrible smell and it's not BO. he was sweating, but he's never had body odor. This was a horrific odor.  My husband is convinced he does need any further testing of his prostate because his Dr. told for his age, a PSA of 8 was normal..  and that the pain is just his back and sciatica.. Does prostate cancer not only bring leg and back pain, but if its advanced, would it alter his personality and send out an odor.

Than you!

User
Posted 18 Jul 2021 at 22:07

You would be better starting your own thread Billie and then you can keep all your questions send replies in one place.

A PSA of 8 is not normal, it should be less than 4. Prostate cancer doesn't usually cause personality changes or sweating, but the treatment for prostate cancer can cause both. Is it possible he has been diagnosed and started treatment without telling you?

If that is impossible, worth getting him back to the doctor as his symptoms may be for another serious medical problem - his PSA would not be the most pressing thing to consider.

Edited by member 19 Jul 2021 at 17:39  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 18 Jul 2021 at 22:33

I don't think any doctor would say that for a man of his age a PSA of 8 is acceptable. From my own experience, an immediate biopsy would be required at that level; as something is clearly awry in his prostate. My brother ws recently told that just over 4 in an older man is of interest and concern  to a doctor, and would suggest a need for a biopsy.

As for the symptoms you mentioned, these affect a percentage of people who undergo hormone treatment, prior to radio-therapy (which very often aims to cure the cancer)