I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

[59M] Is (PSMA) PET scan best diagnosis tool available in 2021?

User
Posted 09 Jul 2021 at 10:29

59M, cT2c, Gleason 4+3=7, PSA 7.8 prostate cancer diagnosis.

Before undergoing radiation treatment or surgery,

1) how beneficial would it be to get a PSMA PET scan to confirm if there are any metastasis nearby the prostate?

2) And is PSMA PET scan the most advanced imagining, diagnostic technology for prostate cancer as of 2021?

59M, Gleason 4+3, PSA7.8, T2C.

DaVinci Surgery in 2021. PSA rising after surgery. What to do next?

User
Posted 09 Jul 2021 at 12:25
It depends - not all prostate cancers show up on scans anyway and different PSMA tracers are better in certain circumstances and with different PSA levels. Of the two most common tracers used here, one is better at picking up recurrence clusters at low PSA levels while the other is better at picking up clusters at the diagnostic stage. There are other PET scan tracers as well, not just PSMA - so one of the PSMA tracers may be the most advanced in the UK in your situation but in my husband's case we would probably go for something like FACB / axumin instead.

No matter how good the tracer is, it is unlikely to pick up micro-mets.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 09 Jul 2021 at 14:26
No.

Have you had a hi-res mri Scan and a template biopsy?

G-68 PET-PSMA scans, although rare in themselves, are usually only used to locate metastases following unsuccessful prostatectomies.

Cheers, John.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 09 Jul 2021 at 12:25
It depends - not all prostate cancers show up on scans anyway and different PSMA tracers are better in certain circumstances and with different PSA levels. Of the two most common tracers used here, one is better at picking up recurrence clusters at low PSA levels while the other is better at picking up clusters at the diagnostic stage. There are other PET scan tracers as well, not just PSMA - so one of the PSMA tracers may be the most advanced in the UK in your situation but in my husband's case we would probably go for something like FACB / axumin instead.

No matter how good the tracer is, it is unlikely to pick up micro-mets.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 09 Jul 2021 at 14:26
No.

Have you had a hi-res mri Scan and a template biopsy?

G-68 PET-PSMA scans, although rare in themselves, are usually only used to locate metastases following unsuccessful prostatectomies.

Cheers, John.