Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Life goes on.

User
Posted 10 Jul 2021 at 22:59

Hi everyone.

I thought I would let you all know how I am coping without my lovely G as it will soon be a year without him.

Not a day goes by without my thinking about him and missing him but I carry on in my slightly crazy fashion. I am learning a lot about myself and slowly starting to come to terms with the new me.

I have never been so thankful that my oldest and best friends have stuck by me, usually phoning every week to check in on me. We talk about G often and keep his memory alive. Only today I rang his best friend to wish him a happy birthday and we chatted for ages as old friends do.

I have ploughed my way through the legal stuff, learned how to change batteries and bulbs in our numerous sensor lights, planted baskets by myself, sorted car problems, rat visitors and dealt with Covid limitations.

A racing heart and hospital stay in November led to the discovery of a variety of health issues so I am being monitored by several consultants but feel well and carry on as usual. 

My biggest challenge has been getting used to driving longer distances myself and that is getting better.I am so thankful that I have been as strong as I promised G, I would be. That doesn't mean that I don't cry, I do often, but I pick myself up and have managed to continue donating to the pc charity when I can.

I follow people's journeys and really feel for those struggling with the late stages of pc. It is a wicked disease and I will hate forever the last cruel days my G endured. He truly was my hero, so brave and so sad to leave us. If only he had managed to get over the chemo and the kidney problems he had at the end.

I think that those left behind carry the pain for a long time and it hurts to hear of others suffering too.

However, I feel fairly strong and pleased that I have been able to carry on but it is mainly because of the wonderful support network I have and that I am brave enough to strike up conversations with strangers and continue to grow and learn. To all couples going through this, I would say that it is important to keep up with your friendships so that if things get really tough there is someone you can talk to or can ask for help if you need it.

Good luck everyone - May you have many years ahead and may better and longer lasting treatments be found soon.

User
Posted 10 Jul 2021 at 22:59

Hi everyone.

I thought I would let you all know how I am coping without my lovely G as it will soon be a year without him.

Not a day goes by without my thinking about him and missing him but I carry on in my slightly crazy fashion. I am learning a lot about myself and slowly starting to come to terms with the new me.

I have never been so thankful that my oldest and best friends have stuck by me, usually phoning every week to check in on me. We talk about G often and keep his memory alive. Only today I rang his best friend to wish him a happy birthday and we chatted for ages as old friends do.

I have ploughed my way through the legal stuff, learned how to change batteries and bulbs in our numerous sensor lights, planted baskets by myself, sorted car problems, rat visitors and dealt with Covid limitations.

A racing heart and hospital stay in November led to the discovery of a variety of health issues so I am being monitored by several consultants but feel well and carry on as usual. 

My biggest challenge has been getting used to driving longer distances myself and that is getting better.I am so thankful that I have been as strong as I promised G, I would be. That doesn't mean that I don't cry, I do often, but I pick myself up and have managed to continue donating to the pc charity when I can.

I follow people's journeys and really feel for those struggling with the late stages of pc. It is a wicked disease and I will hate forever the last cruel days my G endured. He truly was my hero, so brave and so sad to leave us. If only he had managed to get over the chemo and the kidney problems he had at the end.

I think that those left behind carry the pain for a long time and it hurts to hear of others suffering too.

However, I feel fairly strong and pleased that I have been able to carry on but it is mainly because of the wonderful support network I have and that I am brave enough to strike up conversations with strangers and continue to grow and learn. To all couples going through this, I would say that it is important to keep up with your friendships so that if things get really tough there is someone you can talk to or can ask for help if you need it.

Good luck everyone - May you have many years ahead and may better and longer lasting treatments be found soon.

User
Posted 10 Jul 2021 at 23:23
It seems you have come to terms with your situation - well as well as anybody can having lost a much loved partner. Good that you have friends and have turned your hand to doing tasks you did not previously have to do. Life can still be good but in a different way.

Wish you well and thank you for letting us know how things are with you.

Barry
User
Posted 11 Jul 2021 at 01:07

Hi Gilly, I like the new thread. "each day a challenge" was good; I like that you have felt that now is the time to start a new thread though. 

Friends are great, I tend to have friends I have known for years, we are never in each others pockets but I can rely on them. I recently had a bit of a personal crisis, I was surprised and pleased at how they rallied around for me.

Good luck keep posting. 

Dave

User
Posted 11 Jul 2021 at 22:11

So sorry for your loss x

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 10 Jul 2021 at 23:23
It seems you have come to terms with your situation - well as well as anybody can having lost a much loved partner. Good that you have friends and have turned your hand to doing tasks you did not previously have to do. Life can still be good but in a different way.

Wish you well and thank you for letting us know how things are with you.

Barry
User
Posted 11 Jul 2021 at 01:07

Hi Gilly, I like the new thread. "each day a challenge" was good; I like that you have felt that now is the time to start a new thread though. 

Friends are great, I tend to have friends I have known for years, we are never in each others pockets but I can rely on them. I recently had a bit of a personal crisis, I was surprised and pleased at how they rallied around for me.

Good luck keep posting. 

Dave

User
Posted 11 Jul 2021 at 22:11

So sorry for your loss x

User
Posted 12 Jul 2021 at 10:27

Hi Gilly, 

It's good to hear from you and to read of the way you are carrying on as you say in your 'slightly crazy fashion'. I completely understand. Learning about yourself, and slowly starting to come to terms with the 'new you' - well done - it isn't easy but once the journey is started I have found it slowly becomes easier and memories become more gentle.

Sorry to hear you have had health issues but good to hear you do feel well. I remember similar issues myself - I think what we have been through is so tough on our bodies and minds, and it does catch up with us.

Take care, Janet, x