I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Who will provide the biopsy results?

User
Posted 30 Jul 2021 at 07:23

Hello everyone, I'm a very worried wife as we wait for the results of my husband's biopsy.

He has been unwell for that long, I can't remember when this all started.

Going back and forth to the GP and urology as he had an enlarged prostrate. 

May B/H he was admitted to hospital for a kidney infection but no urine infection. PSA 3.2. Unable to urinate or open his bowels. 

Returning to urology for a follow-up appointment shortly after with no further action to be taken.

About 3weeks ago he returned to his GP upset, frustrated and feeling unwell. PSA now 7. MRI completed and awaiting the biopsy results.

We are both so worried. He has had pain in his hips and back for months and the fatigue is worrying and controlling our lives.

We will be glad when the results are announced so at least we can move forward one way or another.

We are both up and down all night.

I am finding the groups conversations very supportive to know we aren't alone.

Ash

User
Posted 30 Jul 2021 at 13:01
Usually, the biopsy results and the MRI results are discussed at a multi-disciplinary meeting of urologists, oncologists, radiologists, etc and this group agrees the formal diagnosis and then which treatments would be suitable or not.

Once that is done, the patient has an appointment with the urologist to get the results and recommendations.

The exception is where the biopsy and MRI were clear, in which case the urologist may just write to thecGP.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 30 Jul 2021 at 13:03

Thank you for a very quick response. 😊

User
Posted 30 Jul 2021 at 13:32
Often but not always, results are conveyed by the hospital to the GP but you can request to be copied into information about your case. I did this and usually get a copy of letter sent to my GP. However, if I have a telephone appointment with the hospital sometimes I am given information at the time which can be put into writing quite some time late,r so on occasion I know before my GP. Ithink it's a good idea to be copied into everything. Apart from being able to follow my case in detail, I have been able to pick up on errors made in correspondence by the hospital to my GP .I also copy my GP into any letters I write to the hospital.
Barry
User
Posted 30 Jul 2021 at 18:08
We had an appointment at the hospital to discuss the results of the biopsy and confirm diagnosis. Next step was a bone scan. Then the whole lot was put before the MDT and treatment went from there.
User
Posted 30 Jul 2021 at 21:45

I was told that the results would be a telephone call if it was negative or an appointment if prostate cancer.

In the end I got a telephone call advising an oncology appointment before I'd been given my results. But very shortly after that a phone call (I mentioned that I hadn't got results yet "so I HAVE got cancer then?") from urology nurse. That was a bit of a cockup, but I think that's unusual.

_____

Two cannibals named Ectomy and Prost, all alone on a Desert island.

Prost was the strongest, so Prost ate Ectomy.