I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

i week post op incontinence

User
Posted 31 Jul 2021 at 22:09

Hi, folks, I have just had my catheter removed today 1 week after RALP and I must have used a dozen pads so far is this normal or am I expecting too much.

User
Posted 01 Aug 2021 at 08:26

Dt18 

Normal is not a word I like in the medical setting. Some guys are dry from the moment the catheter comes out , most probably take alot longer. The number of pads is relative to how much is in the pads and how often you change them.

A pad may hold 150ml if the flow can be controlled, if you drop 150ml in one go it may run down your leg. I put my pad in my under and when the urge came I stood in the shower to see what it could contain.

You have been battered about, tissue is healing scabs are forming, swelling should be reducing.  Things may improve in the next few days, far too early to start worrying.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 01 Aug 2021 at 10:37

I was like a leaky tap the day mine came out (June). It improved over the following few days although tiredness or going for a walk would set me off. Several pads a day at that point. After 5 weeks I suddenly passed a load of old blood and debris and saw a big improvement after that. Patience. Personally I found coming to terms with the incontinence more challenging than coming to terms with having cancer. After 7 weeks I'm on 1 or occasionally 2 level 2 pads a day.

User
Posted 04 Aug 2021 at 12:21

I agree with other voices here. Be patient. I'm 6 weeks post op. Not using pads but having to run like crazy at times and plan all activities more than 100 yards from a toilet.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 01 Aug 2021 at 08:26

Dt18 

Normal is not a word I like in the medical setting. Some guys are dry from the moment the catheter comes out , most probably take alot longer. The number of pads is relative to how much is in the pads and how often you change them.

A pad may hold 150ml if the flow can be controlled, if you drop 150ml in one go it may run down your leg. I put my pad in my under and when the urge came I stood in the shower to see what it could contain.

You have been battered about, tissue is healing scabs are forming, swelling should be reducing.  Things may improve in the next few days, far too early to start worrying.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 01 Aug 2021 at 09:57
Bless you, Chris.
User
Posted 01 Aug 2021 at 10:37

I was like a leaky tap the day mine came out (June). It improved over the following few days although tiredness or going for a walk would set me off. Several pads a day at that point. After 5 weeks I suddenly passed a load of old blood and debris and saw a big improvement after that. Patience. Personally I found coming to terms with the incontinence more challenging than coming to terms with having cancer. After 7 weeks I'm on 1 or occasionally 2 level 2 pads a day.

User
Posted 01 Aug 2021 at 11:04
Many thanks, Upkeep
User
Posted 04 Aug 2021 at 12:21

I agree with other voices here. Be patient. I'm 6 weeks post op. Not using pads but having to run like crazy at times and plan all activities more than 100 yards from a toilet.

User
Posted 02 Jun 2022 at 16:20

Hi dt18.

I am in the same boat, 1 week since I had my catheter out and leaking like a champ. I have always been dry overnight, but the daytime is another story. It’s only been a week, so I am trying not to freak out and stay positive. I am doing the PFEs but have no idea if I am doing them right. I can stop the flow of urine and am using the same muscle contractions for the PFEs. Interestingly, I was not told to start the exercises before the op as some folks were.

I also have differing pressures when peeing. Sometimes it comes out like a fire hose and sometimes it more like pre op. I also have regular passing of blood and blood clots. I am told this is normal.

All in all, we are at the start of recovery, so stay positive.