Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Employment

User
Posted 02 Aug 2021 at 00:09

Hi everyone 😁

I was diagnosed Jan 2020 and went off on sick for nearly 8 months last October due to a tumor that developed, all fixed now been back to work for 3 months and managing 21 hours. However I was told by my manager she didn't want to loose me and you have to work 30 hours, a threat in itself that is !. Along with this and due to the project securing a further 5 years, this new contract has more funding meaning another job will be created at 30 hours(mine is 40). Currently working on a job share to ensure my post stays at 40 hours. The new post will be 30 hours however it was made clear that the manager only wants 2 staff and not 3 in these 2 roles. I was informed my job description will be changing. Next thing will be to reapply for my job.... With various other 'things' that are appearing, I'm beginning to feel that due to my health, I'm slowly being managed out. 

Im aware of the disability act and how that can support people in employment, however what I have been observering recently is the organisation is working round the disability act, keeping things legal and appear as if they are being a disability confident employer. It doesn't feel like that at all.

Does anyone else have a similar experience or any advice that could be offered. Thanks in advance.

User
Posted 02 Aug 2021 at 19:10
The Disability Act doesn't exist anymore; it was replaced by the Equality Act 2010. Under that legislation, you have protection as a person who has had cancer - the employer must make reasonable adjustments and if they can't meet your requests, must be able to demonstrate why not.

Assuming you are not in a union, speak to an employment lawyer - some do the first hour of advice for free.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 02 Aug 2021 at 19:13
I suppose the other thing to consider is why after all this time you still don't feel able to work more hours? Most men of working age are back full time by about 12 weeks post-op.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 03 Aug 2021 at 09:50
Ah yes, thank you Dave64! In that case, definitely worth speaking to an employment lawyer then as the Equality Act should be enough to protect someone under active treatment.
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 02 Aug 2021 at 19:10
The Disability Act doesn't exist anymore; it was replaced by the Equality Act 2010. Under that legislation, you have protection as a person who has had cancer - the employer must make reasonable adjustments and if they can't meet your requests, must be able to demonstrate why not.

Assuming you are not in a union, speak to an employment lawyer - some do the first hour of advice for free.
User
Posted 02 Aug 2021 at 19:13
I suppose the other thing to consider is why after all this time you still don't feel able to work more hours? Most men of working age are back full time by about 12 weeks post-op.
User
Posted 03 Aug 2021 at 01:00

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Looking at profile and previous posts, I think donchada is on chemo and hormones and has not had an op.

Dave

User
Posted 03 Aug 2021 at 09:50
Ah yes, thank you Dave64! In that case, definitely worth speaking to an employment lawyer then as the Equality Act should be enough to protect someone under active treatment.
User
Posted 03 Aug 2021 at 22:08

Prior to the tumour, I was classed as being in remission, however didn't last long as the tumour took no prisoners. I had 1 session of chemo, COVID stopped that and was placed on Arbiterone. Due to the fact Arbiterone was not working, the Tumour (rectal) grew quickly, causing all sorts of pain. From there I had 10 radiotherapy sessions and then  put on olaparib. I had serious fatigue during that time stopping me going back to work. GP also said no to a return to work, this being 6 months point. GP eventually signed me back to work but only on a part time basis on a phased return. Fatigue still effects me which prevents me going all the way to full time. Also weight gain I think is due to steroids and the monthly injection of hormone, just slows me down. So full time just now will be very difficult for me. I'm on day 2 of new 4 day week and flagging already. I've had no op and diagnosed with PCa so it's here to stay! This being why I'm not full time or fit to do that just now.

Why I wrote disability act, just force of habit I guess, been working in social work since 1997, I should know better lol 😁... And yes the Act is there to support folk in my position thankfully.

I ended up contacting Macmillan employment team who appear to be very supportive and have offered some ways forward already. I think I will hold fire with employment lawyer and see how Macmillan can support me through this.

Anyhoo,  thank you all for posting on my thread 👍😊

User
Posted 03 Aug 2021 at 23:47
Brilliant - I didn't know Macmillan had an employment team! Fingers crossed for you.
User
Posted 04 Aug 2021 at 17:12

MacMillian are an impressive organisation. I was referred to a MacMillan Nurse, who just gets things done. Can call her anytime for any health related query(or mental health if I ever need that).

For the employment side of things, I never knew MacMillan had such a service, I just went online to the MacMillan site seen it on there and sent them an email. They responded really quickly and will be happy to provide any help with employment in the future. MacMillan have helped me in several ways over the past several months, would certainly encourage folk to use their services, they are very good.