I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

The Male Sling

User
Posted 06 Aug 2021 at 19:02

I would like to hear from anyone who has had this device fitted, in summary its a sling which supports the urethra at a point before it enters the penis: it is intended to help to mitigate stress incontinence. I believe that stress incontinence is due to weakness in the muscles in the pelvic floor.

There have been good and bad reviews of this procedure and I am trying to get an idea of whether I should seek to have the procedure. Also, if members have had it was it by the NHS, or private clinic.

Regards

J H

User
Posted 06 Aug 2021 at 19:46

JH 

With the use of your anti leak devices how much urine can your bladder hold ?. My plan was to have SRT , uretheral construction then an AUS. The radiation cystitis damaged the bladder and once the capacity was below 200 ml the AUS was no longer viable.

Hope you have better luck than I did.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 07 Aug 2021 at 15:48

Hello colwickchris

Thanks for your response

With the device its probably up to 400ml. At night the incontinence is not much of a problem, I wear a thin shield and most nights I don't leak at all, maybe that's because I am a sound sleeper. I get up once most nights to pee, and pass anything up to 400ml--sometimes only about 300ml.  My radiation cystitis problem is passing of blood in the urine, although I keep this under control by instilling Cystistat, Cystistat stops the bleeding and if I use it regularly I'm confident that I won't get recurrence of the problem--it's not a once and for all cure. I find drinking alcohol increases the chance of leaking.  I should know what SPT & AUS stands for, could you please enlighten me?  May I ask if you are still having treatment, is it on the NHS or at a private clinic. 

User
Posted 07 Aug 2021 at 16:33
SRT: Salvage radiotherapy

AUS: Artificial urinary sphincter

Cheers,

Chris

User
Posted 07 Aug 2021 at 16:33

J H 

SRT, salvage radiation therapy.

AUS, artificial urinary sphincter.

My next logical step would be to allow the PSA to rise before having a PSMA or similar scan, then probably HT. I have side stepped the normal route by going on a trial at the moment.  I had most of my treatment on the NHS.

I did try hyperbaric oxygen treatment for my radiation cystitis but it was too late.Promising that your bladder capacity is still good.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 08 Aug 2021 at 11:50

Hello Chris

Thanks for your reply.

There is not enough warning about the side effects of SRT, If the increase in PSA is moderate sometimes it may be better to go onto HT (it has its side effects) or surveillance---in hindsight I would have delayed having SRT.

I'm interested that you were considered for hyperbaric oxygen treatment; I've read about it and assumed that it is too expensive and lengthy to be available on the NHS.

Returning to HT treatment, I have a friend who had radiotherapy (private clinic) for P Cancer, that was about 5 years ago, he has been on HT ever since as part of the treatment. The side effects seem to be putting on weight, and loss of energy.

I'd be interested in how you get on with the trial.

Cheers

John (J H)

User
Posted 08 Aug 2021 at 12:30

JH 

I paid for the hyperbaric oxygen treatment myself, it was £25 for a years membership and is now £15 a session, I sometimes did twice a week. As I said the damage was probably too far gone before I started treatment.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 12 Aug 2021 at 17:20

J H

I had a sling fitted - one of the non-adjustable types.  For the first six months or so it worked very well, but later began to slacken off until the leakage was back to the pre-insert level.  After messing around with various devices I gave in and opted for an AUS.  You can read about my experiences with it here : https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t11152-Artificial-Sphincter--AUS----Diary-of-experiences

Tony

TURP then LRP in 2009/2010. Lots of leakage but PSA < 0.1 AMS-800 Artificial Sphincter activated 2015.